Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning and F-22 'Raptor' : News & Discussion

The difference between the US and others is, others have not experimented with procuring untested equipment in large numbers. So the Chinese can compensate for their lack of experience with their tech lead.

April's done, so the next window for an invasion is Sept-Oct. If the Chinese attack in just a few months, the US will basically be participating with a Mike Tyson with a broken arm. As per the Pentagon, they need until 2026 to have the minimum B4 capabilities in order to fight the Chinese, not counting the obvious delays.

The US today has 125+ combat-coded F-22s and some 150+ combat-coded F-35s out of 300+. The Chinese have 200+ J-20s in total. If we assume Oct 2025 or April 2026 is D-Day, then the US would have added about 100 more F-35s, whereas the PLAAF would have added 100-150 jets every year, or about 300-450 jets in just 3 years. So we are talking 500-650 J-20s by the time both sides fight. I'd actually say the Chinese would take the lead in both numbers and technology by then. This is not counting the fact that the US needs global presence, whereas the Chinese presence is regional.

The F-22 needs upgrades, the F-35 needs to finish development, neither jet is ready to take on the J-20, even by 2025-26. And even if the J-20 is not combat proven, at least the J-20 will be operationally proven by then, while maintaining a terrain advantage. The USAF isn't in a very good position over Taiwan considering ground realities. All the Chinese have to do is not be incompetent.

Stating ground realities isn't cheering.
The upscaled numbers of J20 is a worrisome development for us than USA. I dont think china will be able invade Taiwan with j20 as silver bullet. They need a formidable naval force to do that, USN is the big dog when comes to naval warfare. So no chance for an invasion on Taiwan. Thats not the case in Indo china.

Reactions: LX1111
the other 2 Europeans simply had no choice but to declare it too. of the 3 european fighters, Gripen, Rafale, and Typhoon all claim supercruise this is of course thanks to the F-22 raising the standard to an unbearable degree they can't match.
The gripen doesn't supercruise and the claimed supersonic speeds are mach 1.2 for the gripen while both rafale and typhoon can supercruise at mach 1.4.

• Haha
Reactions: Optimist
The F-35 obviously has superior A2G capabilities, consdering what the article is referring to. This has been known for nearly 2 decades now.
So it has superior AG capabilities because it can penetrate IADS at high altitude, IADS with bigger and far more powerful antennas, but somehow against J-20s you know nothing about with much smaller and far less powerful antennas the F-35 will lose? :ROFLMAO:

Both of which never attempted to say otherwise. F-18 EF and F-35 can't supercruise, but they relieve themselves of being pretenders and posers.
The superhornet and f-35 cannot supercruise is because they are overweight pigs. Especially the superhornet. The Americans are working on the XA-100/AETP exactly so that the f-35 can supercruise. They are not pretenders because they are straight up trash kinematically.
So it has superior AG capabilities because it can penetrate IADS at high altitude, IADS with bigger and far more powerful antennas, but somehow against J-20s you know nothing about with much smaller and far less powerful antennas the F-35 will lose? :ROFLMAO:
The j-20 has a bigger nose than the f-35. That's known the issue is the quality of Chinese trm's and the software.

The upscaled numbers of J20 is a worrisome development for us than USA. I dont think china will be able invade Taiwan with j20 as silver bullet. They need a formidable naval force to do that, USN is the big dog when comes to naval warfare. So no chance for an invasion on Taiwan. Thats not the case in Indo china.
The Chinese are bullshitting. One day they have 150 planes the other day 36 planes. At most the Chinese have 50 j-20's.

The j-20 has a bigger nose than the f-35. That's known the issue is the quality of Chinese trm's and the software.
So the F-35 at high altitude can penetrate and EW bigger and more powerful antennas (IADS) than the J-20s nose antenna..... have you gooten it yet? See where I'm going here?

The Chinese are bullshitting. One day they have 150 planes the other day 36 planes. At most the Chinese have 50 j-20's.
I dont know much about Chinese j20 inventories, but what i know is Rafale is the only aircraft in IAF's inventory which will not get shot down by j20 easily, and we have only 36 in numbers.

A Swiss friend said:
With the F-35, you are being offered to buy tomorrow's aircraft today.
It would be perfect if there were not the risk that we would be delivered yesterday's version the day after tomorrow.
;)

• Haha
Reactions: randomradio
J-20 is in production from 2017. It would be preposterous to think that there are only 36 J-20s till date. I think 150+ of them are definitely operational and even 200 maybe possible(as per some recent reports).

Very soon WS-15 is entering production and with that full envelope of J-20 kinematics would be unleashed. It also uses thrust vectoring as per some reports too.

We may like it or not, but J-20 is a legit threat to both IAF and USAF/USN fighters/other assests. USAF just accepted that even the current J-20 is better than Block-20 F-22s. What J-20 would do with WS-15 engines is anybody's guess.

Except @randomradio no one fully understands the J-20 threat, especially with WS-15 engines.

J-20 is in production from 2017. It would be preposterous to think that there are only 36 J-20s till date. I think 150+ of them are definitely operational and even 200 maybe possible(as per some recent reports).

Very soon WS-15 is entering production and with that full envelope of J-20 kinematics would be unleashed. It also uses thrust vectoring as per some reports too.

This is chicoms first stealth aircraft the chicoms are not going to reveal any bugs they suffer from they will always report good news and post action videos and pics to wow their fanboys and simple minded folks in here into believing their narrative.
We may like it or not, but J-20 is a legit threat to both IAF and USAF/USN fighters/other assests. USAF just accepted that even the current J-20 is better than Block-20 F-22s. What J-20 would do with WS-15 engines is anybody's guess.

J-20 is a threat to IAF PERIOD! US is not really impressed with its VLO design. Sometimes US generals go off script and reveal what they really think which is not good for an organization that loves to shout the sky is falling need more money.

For decades US has been using its stealth fighters as red forces the chicoms not so much. More importantly for decades US has been preparing/exercising a netcentric combined arms warfare where no nation comes close to US capability. US will dominate EM realm and will dominate the battle space picture. The chicoms got a very small taste of that last year when they tried to track Pelosi's plane and jam her coms
but failed miserably.
Except @randomradio no one fully understands the J-20 threat, especially with WS-15 engines.
LOL! You got to be kidding me? Are you that gullible that you actually believe radio is knowledgeable person on the J-20? That fool knows no more than anyone in here take a guess why? Careful before he says you a bridge.

• Haha
Reactions: Rajput Lion
I wouldn't underestimate China. I believe @randomradio is closer to the truth when it comes to J-20 threat with regards to production, numbers and engine.
Lol you too? Closer to what truth? We all have access to what he has access to when it comes to info of the J-20. US Generals have access to information of the J-20 that non of us in here have access to so when they let their guard down and accidently reveal how they feel about the J-20 I put more credence in what they say.

This is chicoms first stealth aircraft the chicoms are not going to reveal any bugs they suffer from they will always report good news and post action videos and pics to wow their fanboys and simple minded folks in here into believing their narrative.
I agree but never ever underestimate your enemy.
J-20 is a threat to IAF PERIOD! US is not really impressed with its VLO design. Sometimes US generals go off script and reveal what they really think which is not good for an organization that loves to shout the sky is falling need more money.
J-20 is evolving too. J-20 with mature avionics and WS-15 180+KN engines is a serious threat to both USAF/USN and IAF. Don't live in denial.
For decades US has been using its stealth fighters as red forces the chicoms not so much. More importantly for decades US has been preparing/exercising a netcentric combined arms warfare where no nation comes close to US capability. US will dominate EM realm and will dominate the battle space picture. The chicoms got a very small taste of that last year when they tried to track Pelosi's plane and jam her coms
but failed miserably.
Everything you wrote is true but it's better to be safe than sorry.
LOL! You got to be kidding me? Are you that gullible that you actually believe radio is knowledgeable person on the J-20? That fool knows no more than anyone in here take a guess why? Careful before he says you a bridge.
@randomradio is NOT a fool, in fact, the most knowledgeable person of this site along with @vstol Jockey Sir.
I wouldn't underestimate China. I believe @randomradio is closer to the truth when it comes to J-20 threat with regards to production, numbers and engine.
F-35 is ahead of J-20 in stealth. But J-20 is very stealthy too especially in a head-on approach. The problem is that F-35 is a strike fighter first. It's not designed for high and fast BVR/WVR battles. With WS-15, J-20 shall have the kinematics of F-22 along with avionics and sensor fusion(almost) of F-35. That is a deadly combo. That's why NGAD is required to vanquish future advance derivatives of J-20 plus the Chinese 6th gen.

I agree but never ever underestimate your enemy.

Just because the US is unimpressed with chicom J-20 doesn't mean they are going to underestimate the chicoms.
J-20 is evolving too. J-20 with mature avionics and WS-15 180+KN engines is a serious threat to both USAF/USN and IAF. Don't live in denial.

Stop seeing the F-35 and J-20 as in the same league or better yet general area. The F-35 was created with 8 million lines of codes all the delays and problems the F-35 suffered were software related for a reason.... it's a super computer. J-20 is nothing but a stealth fighter (not as stealthy as F-22. F-35 or F-117) with a radar and IRS-T. The only evolving the J-20 will go through is its radar, engine and data linking. In order for the J-20 to have the capability of the F-35 they would have to start from scratch. I see the J-20 as the F-22 when the F-22 first entered service over 20 yeas ago only the J-20 is less stealthy and not as fast.
Everything you wrote is true but it's better to be safe than sorry.

US military takes war/killing other nations military seriously. US generals and admirals have wet dreams of such wars, wars of high intensity under high-tech conditions.
@randomradio is NOT a fool, in fact, the most knowledgeable person of this site along with @vstol Jockey Sir.

No
F-35 is ahead of J-20 in stealth. But J-20 is very stealthy too especially in a head-on approach.

How do you know that and what proof do you base that on? Between the canards, stabs and ventral fins the J-20 is much less stealthier than F-35 and F-22 and by a lot.
The problem is that F-35 is a strike fighter first. It's not designed for high and fast BVR/WVR battles.

This the part you go dumb because there are plenty of interviews with F-35 pilots that shoot down your ridiculous claim.
With WS-15, J-20 shall have the kinematics of F-22 along with avionics and sensor fusion(almost) of F-35. That is a deadly combo.

Lol. You just made that up with nothing to back it up. All opinion base on your feelings.
That's why NGAD is required to vanquish future advance derivatives of J-20 plus the Chinese 6th gen.

You don't know how it works here in the US. When NGAD is revealed the US will start working on its 7th gen fighter and when it leaks that a 7th gen fighter is in the works the noobs in here will say A-HAAA NGAD fighter not good enough... you'll see.

Lol you too? Closer to what truth? We all have access to what he has access to when it comes to info of the J-20. US Generals have access to information of the J-20 that non of us in here have access to so when they let their guard down and accidently reveal how they feel about the J-20 I put more credence in what they say.
Nobody is right. Everyone here just has conjectures. Only time will tell how many j-20's actually exist. They definitely don't have 200 and if they have I feel they will have extremely high maintenance aircraft with long endurance times. I could be wrong the Chinese are pretty innovative.

They have the naval forces for the task. What they lacked earlier was the ability to take the air, now they do.

The USN is gonna struggle against PLAN in a Taiwan war due to the distances involved. The entire island is within rocket artillery range of the PLA. I have no clue what the USN is capable of doing to stop that.

Reactions: Rajput Lion