Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning and F-22 'Raptor' : News & Discussion

Got a link that shows that the Rafale currently has meteor? It still doesn't have the radar for 200km
Aim-120d has a long range, the new aim-260 is longer, live fire testing in the summer of 2023. IOC not much longer

Aim-120d 160 km, 100 miles
Meteor 200 kilometres (110 nmi).
Aim-260 200 km (120 mi)

Somehow the Aim-120D3 is able to squeeze out more range.

• Informative
Reactions: Optimist

2023 Congressional Pig Book

$1,508,300,000 for three earmarks for the F-35 JSF, the fifth-most ever earmarked for the program. The bulk of the FY 2023 earmarks fund the acquisition of 18 aircraft beyond the amount requested by the DOD, including 11 for the Air Force and seven for the Navy.

A small ocean of ink has been spilled cataloging the many troubles of the JSF. It has been under continuous development since the contract was awarded in 2001 and has faced innumerable delays and cost overruns. Total acquisition costs now exceed $428 billion, nearly double the initial estimate of $233 billion, with projected lifetime operations and maintenance costs of $1.727 trillion.

On April 26, 2016, then-Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman John McCain (R-Ariz.) called the JSF program “both a scandal and a tragedy with respect to cost, schedule, and performance.” In February 2014, then-Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology, and Logistics Frank Kendall referred to the purchase of the F-35 as “acquisition malpractice,” a description that has yet to be improved upon.

The JSF has been plagued by a staggering array of persistent issues, many of which were highlighted in the FY 2019 DOD Operational Test and Evaluation Annual Report, which revealed 873 unresolved deficiencies including 13 Category 1 items, involving the most serious flaws that could endanger crew and aircraft. While this is an overall reduction from the 917 unresolved deficiencies and 15 Category 1 items found in September 2018, the report stated that “although the program is working to fix deficiencies, new discoveries are still being made, resulting in only a minor decrease in the overall number of deficiencies.”

Cost overruns resulting from the ongoing problems have plagued the F-35. The first comprehensive cost review of the program since 2012 found a funding gap of $10 billion over the next five years. On September 11, 2020, Bloomberg reported on an internal DOD review of the JSF program labeled “For Official Use Only.” Dated June 17, 2020, the report estimated that $88 billion for research and development, procurement, and operations and maintenance would be needed over the next five fiscal years. The DOD has officially called for $78 billion for these purposes.

According to the DOD report, much uncertainty exists regarding the final cost of the JSF because the aircraft has only logged about 2 percent of the total flight hours it will accrue over its lifecycle. In addition, the DOD’s goal to reduce the F-35’s cost per hour of flight by $10,000 to $25,000 over the next five years “is likely to prove unachievable” because of “a lack of defined actions” to cut costs.

Many of the problems with the F-35 program can be traced to the decision to develop and procure the aircraft simultaneously. Whenever problems have been identified, contractors needed to go back and make changes to planes that were already assembled, adding to overall costs. Speaking at the Aspen Security Forum on July 24, 2015, then-Air Force Secretary Deborah Lee James stated, “The biggest lesson I have learned from the F-35 is never again should we be flying an aircraft while we’re building it.”

The high cost, delays, and underperformance of the JSF has also created a readiness gap, which has forced the Air Force to purchase older aircraft as a stopgap. The average Air Force fighter is approximately 28 years old. The service’s fleet of F-16s, one of the aircraft meant to be replaced by the F-35, is on average more than 30 years old.

Unsurprisingly, the Air Force’s readiness rates have plummeted in recent years. Aware of the problem, former DOD Secretary Jim Mattis released a memo in September 2018 directing the Air Force and Navy to increase mission-capable rates of four aircraft (including three Air Force platforms) to at least 80 percent by the close of 2019. The initiative failed and was quickly abandoned by the DOD. The Air Force’s rates have languished in the low 70s in the last four years, including 71.5 percent in 2021.

Unbelievably, the F-35A, the Air Force’s version of the JSF, has sustained an even lower readiness rate than older service platforms. In 2021, 68.8 percent of F-35As were mission-capable on average, down from 76.1 percent in 2020, but still better than the 61.6 readiness rate in 2019.

Of course, the program’s many problems have not stopped the Pentagon from asking for funding, and members of Congress from supplying it, oftentimes exceeding the request from the DOD. This trend continued in FY 2023, when legislators added $1.5 billion to fund the acquisition of 18 JSFs beyond the amount requested by the Pentagon. Upon completion of the development phase, additional funding will be needed to retrofit the JSFs purchased via earmarks, adding to overall program costs.

The wide distribution of F-35 supply lines across the country is no accident. According to a map showing the local economic impact of the JSF on Lockheed Martin’s website, the only states that do not have at least one supplier for the aircraft are Hawaii and North Dakota. This gives all but two representatives and four senators more than enough incentive to keep greasing the wheels.

The deficiencies that have plagued the DOD in recent years have been identified ad nauseum. The Pentagon’s track record in addressing its financial shortcomings and procurement failures makes it evident that these problems will continue until members of Congress hold the DOD to a much higher standard of effectiveness and efficiency. Since FY 2001, legislators have added 37 earmarks for the JSF program, costing $12.1 billion.

This is the first time I look at this picture, but I don't think this calculation is correct, the plane empty weight is not only each weight to add, but also to add oil, Hydraulic fluid, and the weight of the pilot,Plus the weight of the cannonball and the weight of the basic missile pylon,My data is from Sukhoi's official website. I don't know where his data came from
Are you for real? That is an official 'unclassified' RMAF document. Empty weight is 17.8 tons and OEW/MEW with two pilots, gun ammo, hydraulic oil etc. is 18.4 tons. MKI/MKM uses lots of composite vs old Su-35(Su-27M) and its nose profile is smaller too. Thus despite 2-seat cockpit it weighs similarly at 18.4 tons.

Now, if you don't accept it then it's upto you. I've give you as 'official' source as official it can be.
If you don't say, what else is Russia working on Su 35. Su 57? Su 30sm is enough to kill America, actually, How much SU 30SM has lost in Ukraine,
Russia is working on Su-30SM2, Su-35S and Su-57M. All are important for them to take on F-22 and F-35.

Somehow the Aim-120D3 is able to squeeze out more range.
Still falls short to Meteor which has max 300kms range. Accept it that Rafale with Meteor will wipe out your Eagle 10 out of 10 times.

F-15EX/E APG-82(v)1, most powerful AESA on a fighter and EPAWSS will get first look and first shot.
Rafale with SPECTRA will nullify your radar advantage and Meteor will do the rest.
You don't go to war clean numbnuts. F-18E blk2-3 clean is stealthier than your froggy plane but so what?
Yeah, I agree but still even with a light air to air load, Rafale RCS would be quite less, of course not LO. And don't you ever forget about 'active cancellation'. If that works as it is claimed, all planes except F-22 are dead meat to the Rafale.
Lol. Silly little Hornet...
View attachment 27596

You should see the video how quickly little hornet dispatches the MKM.
MKM pilot made a mistake and paid for it. Even your USN pilot admitted right at the beginning of this video that MKM killed Hornet multiple times and that MKM was as vicious dogfighter as F-22. F-15 is simply no match. Period.

Something like 220km I assume. So in the same class as pl-15
Something like that. The aim-120d is going to be around for years to come with the aim-120d3 entering service soon. D3 is just software upgrade but some how it's going to have somewhat greater range than the D which hit at target 130+ miles.

The Aim-260 enters service this year and we still don't know what it looks like. US 4th gen fighters will have first dibs on the aim-260.
Still falls short to Meteor which has max 300kms range. Accept it that Rafale with Meteor will wipe out your Eagle 10 out of 10 times.
crazy-laughter.gif

That's some number you just pulled out of your caca hole.

Rafale with SPECTRA will nullify your radar advantage and Meteor will do the rest.

Lol. I don't think you have any clue.
Yeah, I agree but still even with a light air to air load, Rafale RCS would be quite less, of course not LO. And don't you ever forget about 'active cancellation'. If that works as it is claimed, all planes except F-22 are dead meat to the Rafale.

Oy vey. Your "active cancellation" you Rafafle fanboys like to throw around is not going to help it against modern/advanced AESA with different and complex waveform and frequency in every pulse. It may work on fighters with older radars but not against APG-81, APG-77(v)1, APG-82(v)1, APG-79(v)4-GaN and APG-83(SABR). Rafale against Russian fighters and Pakistani F-16's I got no argument but against US fighters with these radars well now you're licking psychedelic frogs my boy.
MKM pilot made a mistake and paid for it. Even your USN pilot admitted right at the beginning of this video that MKM killed Hornet multiple times and that MKM was as vicious dogfighter as F-22. F-15 is simply no match. Period.

Seems you didn't watch the video because the F-18 was 3 for 3. And MKM's are flown by Malaysia's top pilots so cut the crap.

Btw little hornets with two tanks have gun down Rafale's
f18 vs rafale.jpg

f18 vs rafale 2.jpg

My understanding of MKI is very simple, a not so good 4-generation aircraft, mobility has been said above, Adding a bunch of fancy stuff without adding thrust is doomed to poor maneuverability
As for radar, don't think PESA is a good thing, purely because Russia in the early processing can not come up with a qualified PD antenna,
R 77 will not say, we all know

The MKI is not underpowered. As an air superiority design which has not seen significant weight gain, it has more than sufficient thrust. It has pretty much the same rate of climb as the F-15C when you take into account fuel fraction. The F-15C's airframe is inferior to the MKI, for obvious reasons, being an older design. All other F-15 models like E and EX are much heavier and inferior to the MKI. Plus the MKI carries a lot more fuel. TVC provides a lot of advantages in saving fuel and reducing drag.

The MKI's radar is hybrid-PESA. It works like a PESA during transmission, but during reception it works like an AESA, so it processes signals similar to AESA. But I agree that it's time to upgrade the MKI's radar. Although Bars is old, it's still effective against old jets like the F-16, J-10C and J-16.

MKI is integrated with Derby ER and Astra Mk1.

Astra Mk2 is under trials.

ASTRA-MISSILE.png

J 10C from the radar, structure, engine, aerodynamic, engine have been greatly optimized, not you a AESA, can be summarized,

It's just a simple refinement with a new engine and avionics, like what happened with the F-16.

With the AIM-120C, the F-16 B52 without AESA will still be able to challenge the F-16 B60 with AESA. But if the J-10A isn't able to challenge the J-10C even with the same weapon, then it's a problem with the J-10A. Obviously, the J-10C is not a stealth jet. You can expect both the Mirage 2000-5 Mk2 and F-16 B52 to be able to challenge the J-10C in BVR combat.

As for WVR, few in India can compete with PL 10

PL-10's Indian equivalents are the MICA IR, Python V and ASRAAM.

Reactions: Rajput Lion
Something like that. The aim-120d is going to be around for years to come with the aim-120d3 entering service soon. D3 is just software upgrade but some how it's going to have somewhat greater range than the D which hit at target 130+ miles.

The Aim-260 enters service this year and we still don't know what it looks like. US 4th gen fighters will have first dibs on the aim-260.

View attachment 27599

That's some number you just pulled out of your caca hole.
No. Our SFDR's max range is 340kms when fired at high altitude. Meteor being slightly smaller has 300kms max range. Being SFDR it can throttle its motor for :

1. More speed, less range,

2. More range, less speed.

Meteor is by far the best air to air missile currently. No AIM-120D or D3 can touch it. Get off your American false pedestal and accept the obvious, will ya....Sweetie?
Lol. I don't think you have any clue.
Unfortunately for you, I've full clue unlike you or your Down Under friend, who thinks Rafale still doesn't have Meteor, lolol.
Oy vey. Your "active cancellation" you Rafafle fanboys like to throw around is not going to help it against modern/advanced AESA with different and complex waveform and frequency in every pulse. It may work on fighters with older radars but not against APG-81, APG-77(v)1, APG-82(v)1, APG-79(v)4-GaN and APG-83(SABR). Rafale against Russian fighters and Pakistani F-16's I got no argument but against US fighters with these radars well now you're licking psychedelic frogs my boy.
Honestly, Random has tried to explain how ACT works, but I'm not too sure myself about its efficacy against frequency agile LPI AESA radars.
Seems you didn't watch the video because the F-18 was 3 for 3. And MKM's are flown by Malaysia's top pilots so cut the crap.
I've watched that video when it came out. How easily you're ignoring the comment of the host that MKM is the toughest dogfighter other than Raptor, is simply hilarious. I realize, your false American pride doesn't allow you to accept that any plane could be as good as your "invincible" Raptor. But MKM forced your Raptors to back off every single time during Cope Taufan 2014 in guns only dogfight. Fact. If R-73s were involved then MKM would have humped your Raptors even more easily.
Btw little hornets with two tanks have gun down Rafale's
View attachment 27601
View attachment 27600
Hornet has great alpha. In right hands it's a deadly WVR fighter. But its high speed and high altitude performance sucks. Same with Super Hornet.

Last edited:
@randomradio

There is some internet chatter that US is offering F-35s directly under gov to gov deal for MRFA. That is also to counter similar offer made by France. I always myself thought MRFA was a direct shoot between Rafale and F-35!

Which plane should be better for us to face PLAAF in your opinion?

Lockheed Martin Corp., Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Co., Fort Worth, Texas, is awarded a cost-plus-incentive-fee, cost-plus-fixed-fee not-to-exceed $1,439,135,764 undefinitized contract. This contract provides for the continued development of critical F-35 warfighting capabilities, to include Electronic Warfare Band 2/5 Radar Warning Receiver, Modernized Countermeasure Controller, Multi-ship Infrared Search and Track Increment 2, and Beyond Line of Sight communications, as well as supports required training and combat data systems development for Lots 16 and 17 production aircraft for the Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, Foreign Military Sales (FMS) customers, and non-Department of Defense (DOD) participants. Work will be performed in Fort Worth, Texas (60%); Nashua, New Hampshire (16%); Baltimore, Maryland (9%); Orlando, Florida (5.5%); Torrance, California (2%); San Diego, California (2%); El Segundo, California (2%); Northridge, California (1%); Clearwater, Florida (1%); Buffalo, New York (1%); and Tucson, Arizona (0.5%), and is expected to be completed in March 2028. Fiscal 2023 research, development, test, and evaluation (Navy) funds in the amount of $57,335,825; fiscal 2023 research, development, test, and evaluation Air Force) funds in the amount of $54,900,755; FMS customer funds in the amount of $565,817; and non-DOD participants funds in the amount of $30,558,644 will be obligated at the time of award, none‬ of which will expire at the end of the current fiscal year. This contract was not competitively procured pursuant to 10 U.S. Code 2304(c)(1). The Naval Air Systems Command, Patuxent River, Maryland, is the contracting activity (N0001923C0009).

Development or not this contract is attached to N0001923C0009 and is specific to LRIP16 and 17. It is clearly writen that every customers will paid for.

Can you explain us how in a first question you ask for the angle and not here ? You simply don't understand how work HF and EW.
As i said, I've seen your understanding on costings before.
What was your price on LRIP 14 again?

What has the update costs for existing planes, has to do with lot 15-17 FMS price?

Reactions: Innominate
As i said, I've seen your understanding on costings before.
As said before you didn't produce any better sources than USASPENDING or CBO. You are not able to say why this last contract is attached to N0001923C0009 contract and have to be paid by every customers for LRIP16 and 17.
Honestly, Random has tried to explain how ACT works, but I'm not too sure myself about its efficacy against frequency agile LPI AESA radars.
In fact the only thing to understand is that the receiver of every has to be able to recognize its own signals. DOn't forget that the signals has by far lower power than when it's emitted. All strategy is then to disable this capacity to recognize the signals. You can use big jamming (like Growler) or be more delicate (SPECTRA) or hide yourself like F-35 or have any tactics using geography.
If you accept to be delicate then it enable a lot of tactics. Hidding with lambda/2 tactics, cloning yourself with others lambda/k tactics ... or any tactics you can use when you've the good sorcerers among your engineers just by removing a part of the signal that enable the receiver to recognize its own signals.

A supposedly single pulse rocket motor missile like AIM-120D3 having equal range like Meteor which works on solid fuel ducted ramjet is downright laughable claim. But then that was pretty much expected:rolleyes:

In reality, no BVR missile currently(except heavy AWACS killers) can match the range, kinematics and NEZ of Meteor. Period.

• Agree
Reactions: Bon Plan
The Typhoon should be able to, thanks to the EJ 200 engine and the long-range coupled canard configuration, the other two I doubt, especially the Rafale, A close-coupled aircraft with a very low slenderness ratio, plus there is no M 88-3 engine. Anyway, I highly doubt
Rafale is supercruising, without a doubt.

Attachments

• Rafale spec.PNG
    Rafale spec.PNG
    491.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Haha
Reactions: Innominate
Got a link that shows that the Rafale currently has meteor? It still doesn't have the radar for 200km
Aim-120d has a long range, the new aim-260 is longer, live fire testing in the summer of 2023. IOC not much longer

Aim-120d 160 km, 100 miles
Meteor 200 kilometres (110 nmi).
Aim-260 200 km (120 mi)
2021 : first flight with war ready Meteor.

I add that the max range means nothing because at the end the missile has no more energy to direct itself to the target.
What is interesting is the no escape zone.
AIM 120 C5 : 30km
AIM 120 D : no source, but as it use a classical powder engine and is in the same weight class than Meteor but having to carry fuel AND oxydizer, it is smaller than Meteor.
Meteor : officially > 70km.
AIM 260 : to be seen.

Note that some said some years ago that the max range of Meteor (you know, the useless max range in a fully ballistical trajectory) is 350km.

Last edited:
That puts the 120D3 at the same range as the meteor. now you have upset them.
I'm not saying Meteor is a bad missile in fact I've never said such a claim I'm just posting that the Aim-120D shot down a target breaking the longest range shot by US missile which was held by the Pheonix at a 126 miles. The aim-120d likely shot that target at 130+miles making its range equal to the Meteor's public range and for some reason Rafale fanboys lose their mind over this.

Watch this.... The D3's range supposed to be greater than the D so I reckon its range surpasses the Meteor? :D

Now they'll go nuts.

2021 : first flight with war ready Meteor.

I add that the max range means nothing because at the end the missile has no more energy to direct itself to the target.
What is interesting is the no escape zone.
AIM 120 C5 : 30km
AIM 120 D : no source, but as it use a classical powder engine and is in the same weight class than Meteor but having to carry fuel AND oxydizer, it is smaller than Meteor.
Meteor : officially > 70km.
AIM 260 : to be seen.

Note that some said some years ago that the max range of Meteor (you know, the useless max range in a fully ballistical trajectory) is 350km.
AIM 260, based upon some net chatter, is going to be dual-pulse and dual-seeker AIM-120D size missile. So, NEZ won't be as good as Meteor. However, if it has dual seeker like IAI Stunner missile then evading it would be a real problem for any fighter.

Reactions: Bon Plan