Multi-Role Carrier Borne Fighter For The Indian Navy - Updates & Discussions

What should we select?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The Mirages 2000 also have the GMTI since the 80's, if the Rafale didn't have it it was because it wasn't important, the Americans do everything it is possible to do and the French do what is most useful to their mission and over time add less useful functions according to their order of priority. The result is that at the beginning the American system is very complex and doesn't work unlike the French system. Anyway, now the Indian Rafales already have the GMTI and it will be introduced on the French Rafales with F4.1. And there is no function of the F-18 SH that makes the Rafale owners envious.
Got a link that says they have MGTI now? I would think it comes with the radar upgrade. The French had no money to develop the Rafale. They wanted lots of stuff, dating back 20 years. It was stated the sale of secondhand Rafale was to get some development money. The French air force has been stripped of numbers, that were going to be built. The numbers and updates are still a powerpoint

MRCBF will happen soon. The IN is in a hurry.
IAF was in hurry for new fighter since kargil war, 23 years ago. So our definition of hury is having different meaning here.
The Mirages 2000 also have the GMTI since the 80's, if the Rafale didn't have it it was because it wasn't important, the Americans do everything it is possible to do and the French do what is most useful to their mission and over time add less useful functions according to their order of priority. The result is that at the beginning the American system is very complex and doesn't work unlike the French system. Anyway, now the Indian Rafales already have the GMTI and it will be introduced on the French Rafales with F4.1. And there is no function of the F-18 SH that makes the Rafale owners envious.
what made French to rethink about GMTI now?

Got a link that says they have MGTI now? I would think it comes with the radar upgrade. The French had no money to develop the Rafale. They wanted lots of stuff, dating back 20 years. It was stated the sale of secondhand Rafale was to get some development money. The French air force has been stripped of numbers, that were going to be built. The numbers and updates are still a powerpoint
The Radar upgrades we did for India are classified so the only thing you'll get in the open sources is "radar and SPECTRA upgrades" with no further details. The GMTI is not important enough for its existence to be classified, but in France we don't classify information one by one but we fully classify any document containing classified information.

The Radar upgrades we did for India are classified so the only thing you'll get in the open sources is "radar and SPECTRA upgrades" with no further details. The GMTI is not important enough for its existence to be classified, but in France we don't classify information one by one but we fully classify any document containing classified information.
:ROFLMAO:
Is this unimportant like the HMD? That everyone is happy about.
As I said, it will come with the F4 update. Why tell stories?
The is like France announcing they want SEAD/DEAD in the Rafale in 2030. While the fanboys said it had it 20 years ago

• Haha
Reactions: Innominate
Indian Rafales' SPECTRA has in-built low band jammers, so that thing is pretty much known. Maybe our Rafale also have much fabled "active cancellation" of even LPI radars:)

Reactions: Abheer
Indian Rafales' SPECTRA has in-built low band jammers, so that thing is pretty much known. Maybe our Rafale also have much fabled "active cancellation" of even LPI radars:)
I think you will find that it is Israeli jammers. The upgraded radar will most likely be LPI and will have DRFM, which I think is what they mean. Though with rapid switching, that's getting harder. Active cancelation is a fantasy.

Last edited:
I think you will find that it is Israeli jammers.
No way.
The upgraded radar will most likely be LPI

All AESA radars are LPI by design. RBE2-AA has already this mode from its inception. Even the earlier RBE PESA had LPI mode.
and will have DRFM, which I think is what they mean. Though with rapid switching, that's getting harder.
Now this is interesting. I think you are correct. With this our Rafale would be able to do EA/Active Jamming/Deception Jamming with its AESA radar. This is quite game-changing.
Active cancelation is a fantasy.
Go and tell that to the French because no one has pursed it more than them.

Reactions: _Anonymous_
Go and tell that to the French because no one has pursed it more than them.
It is a fantasy, but even Eurofighter is trying to copy us!
Mark Hewer, Leonardo’s v-p for the Integrated Mission Solutions Business Area, believes that the company’s open/reprogrammable electronic warfare (EW) suite for the Typhoon represents what he calls “digital stealth.”

Low Band Jammer (LBJ) pod with a frequency band of 1- 4.5 GHz. I thought I saw that it was an Israeli pod. It didn't say in what I googled. There would be better info on what Israel provided, I don't think the French has such.

Bill Sweetman gave it active cancelation (it's a longer story and would be on google) and the frogs ran with it,

Last edited:
The GMTI will be in the F4 radar upgrade with the other stuff.

Non-Cooperative Target Recognition (NCTR) mode in Radar
Doppler Beam Sharpening (DBS) and Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) modes in Radar
Ground Moving Target Indicator and Ground Moving Target Track (GMTI/T) modes in Radar

Reactions: Sathya
“This will be decision of the government. We have said yes to both. Now it’s for the MoD (Ministry of Defence) to decide. Both the aircraft are okay. They have proved themselves. But now there will be other issues, for example, we already have Rafales for the Air Force. Now there will be commonality for spare parts and support etc.,” the Navy Chief added.

Does the last sentence mean that we're politely telling Uncle SAM that your jet is good but we're going for Rafale-M because of ease of maintenance;)

As I have been saying. this is a good reason to get the rafale
"Both the aircraft are okay. They have proved themselves. But now there will be other issues, for example, we already have Rafales for the Air Force. Now there will be commonality for spare parts and support etc"

It's not that simple...

If France Safran offers something irresistible it's Rafale and if uncle Sam GE offers something irresistible it's F-18. (Read Jet Engine Technology).. 😊

If we are going for F18,its fine. Better overall naval aircraft, but problem is its production lune. There is ample chance that TEDBF will delayed like the way Tejas did or worst case scenario of project getting failed. So if goi is choosing F18,it should be 57 pieces or else better to go for Rafale.

• Haha
Reactions: RASALGHUL
This is correct. I was told that rafale-M is better as more of them can be kept inside the hanger due to the spot factor but this is also true that more number of F-18s can be kept on deck as they have smaller foot print on deck. Plus F-18 can be taken inside the hanger easily while Rafale-M will need the wingtip rails removal, everythime it needs to be taken inside the hanger. The total load out of F-18 is far superior to what has been demonstrated by rafale-M. One more factor was manitenance and commonality between IAF & IN if Rafale-M is selceted but this got nullified as the IN needs 16 fighters and 8 trainers and Rafale-M does not have a deck based trainer, so the trainers bought by IN vl not be able to go to deck.

This is correct. I was told that rafale-M is better as more of them can be kept inside the hanger due to the spot factor but this is also true that more number of F-18s can be kept on deck as they have smaller foot print on deck. Plus F-18 can be taken inside the hanger easily while Rafale-M will need the wingtip rails removal, everythime it needs to be taken inside the hanger. The total load out of F-18 is far superior to what has been demonstrated by rafale-M. One more factor was manitenance and commonality between IAF & IN if Rafale-M is selceted but this got nullified as the IN needs 16 fighters and 8 trainers and Rafale-M does not have a deck based trainer, so the trainers bought by IN vl not be able to go to deck.
Your last point is very intriguing. Why would IN need trainers in a 1:2 ratio ? Secondly if the Rafale M don't have a deck based trainer how does French Navy train it's aviators ? Moreover isn't that an automatic disqualifier for the Rafales given they don't have two seaters as it is which was a stipulation of IN in the tender .

Reactions: Bali78 and Sathya
Do we need to keep aircraft on the deck always? I think its bad for airframe because of marine conditions.
I dont think training will be issue, because IN can get trained with IAF twin seaters.