Project 75 India Diesel-electric Submarine Programs (SSK) : Updates and Discussions

Who will win the P75I program?

• L&T and Navantia

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • MDL and TKMS

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • It will get canceled eventually

Votes: 13 37.1%

• Total voters
MDL has submitted the price bid for 6 number of AIP fitted submarine…that is P-75I, bids closed on 1st August 2023. MDL was earlier going to tie up with South Korean firm DSME for P-75I, DSME had shown interest in tieing up with MDL, but after the acquisition by Hanwa, they are no longer interested in the project. Accordingly, MDL tied up with the German firm TKMS, while L&T has partnered up with Spanish firm Navantia. MDL has stated that the 43,000cr allocated under AoN would not suffice for the Project-75I. Order placement would take at least 18-24 months from now with first submarine to be delivered in 6 years of contract signing, and then subsequently 1 submarine each year. The project would take around 11 years from the contract signing to delivery of the sixth submarine.

Reactions: Sathya
It's not bigger than S 80 but more capable nonetheless but will German offer it to us in a first place.
Nope, CD is definitely more advanced and matured. It's building on earlier models. Ex optronics mast, fuel cell AIP

Looking at the recent outreach, I have a feeling germans will offer something along that line. Otherwise why join now.

From the recent MDL statement, contact is 4-5 years away.

Nope, CD is definitely more advanced and matured. It's building on earlier models. Ex optronics mast, fuel cell AIP

Looking at the recent outreach, I have a feeling germans will offer something along that line. Otherwise why join now.

In terms of electronics, both will be equally advanced. There's also the risk of the Germans downgrading the export model. There's no guarantee we will get the same stuff the Germans and Norwegians are getting. Plus we don't know the indigenisation content for electronics.
@randomradio does soko guys exit from tendering process?

Quite some time ago. The company was sold, pressure from China and the fact that they have decided to not offer a VLS.

• Informative
Reactions: Valhalla
In that call, they were already talking about Scorpene+ , which could mean some improvements (Kalvari Mk2) from the French + parts being Indian. If the P75I is not signed in 4 years, we may see Kalvari Mk3. And P76 being given priority.

I don't know how we will have funds for Scorpene+, P-75I, P76 to start work post 2028, S5 and the 3 AC.

The fastest cut would be the P75I with the 3 AC already being placed in queue.

Funds are not a problem as long as technology & equipment going into your submarine, Warship etc is being build by Indian Industry ( Preferably State owned enterprises ) & bought totally in local currency. Govt can always print more Rupee to fund the Project....if your submarine cost 1 Billion $ & 500 million $ worth of it is imported than technically you only have to spend 500 million $ in foreign currency. In Rupee PPP terms affects will be negligible

Funds are not a problem as long as technology & equipment going into your submarine, Warship etc is being build by Indian Industry ( Preferably State owned enterprises ) & bought totally in local currency. Govt can always print more Rupee to fund the Project....if your submarine cost 1 Billion $ & 500 million $ worth of it is imported than technically you only have to spend 500 million $ in foreign currency. In Rupee PPP terms affects will be negligible

Which shipyard and which line in India can build Scorpenes, S5, P 76, P75 at the same time? How many lines do we have to do this?

Which shipyard and which line in India can build Scorpenes, S5, P 76, P75 at the same time? How many lines do we have to do this?
Mujhse na pucho.....if it were for me, i would scrap all Diesel-Sub Projects & concentrate all efforts on building more SSN....Nuclear Powered advantages outweigh Diesel-electric one any day

MDL can build 10 ships and 11 subs parallel. Claim by their MD.
11 subs!!! parallel????? Was it in that call? I have seen 3 lines. And someone mentioned 1 more. Where in their shipyard in Mumbai is there space?

Found it.

"The submarine division has two dedicated parallel submarine assembly lines fully ready for operations. With these assembly lines, MDL has a capacity to undertake construction of 11 submarines at any given time," said Vice Admiral (retd) Narayan Prasad, CMD, MDL

Read more at:
Mazagaon Dock's capacities to make submarines to become idle

MDL has 3 lines. Rumoured to have added 1. L&T 1. Thats it.

They have 2 lines that can build 11 and L&T can build 6 with their 1 line. And L&T can expand even more than MDL if necessary.

So 17 subs in parallel.

There's enough capacity for all three sub types if we do end up going for all three simultaneously. My thinking is MDL can build 3 Scorpenes, MDL and L&T can split the P-75I order and they can both later pick up the P-76 program.

SSBN and SSNs will have their lines at SBC. The SSN will be built at SBC-2, it will be ready next year. Assembly is expected to begin in 2025.

Reactions: Sathya
Its 3 now. Friend was working as a consultant for them.

Hopefully expanding for the P-76. We need 12-18 subs of this class. We may need 40-50 SSKs just to keep up in the IOR, what with all newly rich countries getting their own ships and subs in the region.

Anyway, I had pointed out quite a few years ago that P-76 will start almost simultaneously with P-75I, and that's coming true.

We also have a massive export advantage in the pro-West market compared to the more expensive Europe and lack of competition from the US. In fact I won't be surprised if the US also diplomatically pushes small countries towards Indian subs over European ones.

India's future Submarine force need to be consist of 8 SSBN.....each equipped with up to 16 IC Range SLBM & 24 SSN + 48 to 64 SSK force if we really want to completely dominate IOR & keep everyone in check just my humble opinion 🙂

India's future Submarine force need to be consist of 8 SSBN.....each equipped with up to 16 IC Range SLBM & 24 SSN + 48 to 64 SSK force if we really want to completely dominate IOR & keep everyone in check just my humble opinion 🙂

Basically whatever the Chinese have, we should match that. Of course, if we get richer in the post 2050 era, we should get more than the Chinese.