S-400 'Triumf' News & Discussion

And those F-14s probably wouldn't work against NATO unless they've completely changed the radar, EW and missiles.

Yeah, so they've had to change everything and make it a self-supported item. Have India done that?
Actually they have worked against CIAs own drones. They brought down a CIA drone in 2011.
They have been deployed to protect Iran's nuclear sites and are a headache for Israel -- which is US's no 1 ally.

US has been so desperate to ground these planes that it has passed two laws to stop sale of any spares for these planes. Many arrests have been made because some businesses were passing the spares to Iran through black market. Even then, after so much trouble US has gone through, Iran keeps on getting spares from one place or another.

Major Arms Deal Gets Green Light Ahead of Russia-India Summit
The Russian-Indian time-tested partnership has experienced an upward trend in all areas of cooperation in recent years. Last year, the two great powers marked the 70th anniversary of diplomatic relations. The leaders meet regularly and hold phone conversations to discuss acute problems. A very important event has just taken place to bring the two nations even closer.
The Indian Cabinet Committee on Security, chaired by PM Narendra Modi, approved the $6.2 billion S-400 Triumf deal with Russia on Sept.26.

Major Arms Deal Gets Green Light Ahead of Russia-India Summit

Actually they have worked against CIAs own drones. They brought down a CIA drone in 2011.
They have been deployed to protect Iran's nuclear sites and are a headache for Israel -- which is US's no 1 ally.

US has been so desperate to ground these planes that it has passed two laws to stop sale of any spares for these planes. Many arrests have been made because some businesses were passing the spares to Iran through black market. Even then, after so much trouble US has gone through, Iran keeps on getting spares from one place or another.
LOL, drones are not fighters. Chalk and cheese. Most drones don't even have EW, they're only just starting to get equipped now.

Russia runs trade deficit with China.
What is 'strongest military partner'?
Yes but Russia still exports more to China than India and represents a stronger ally. There is no way that SAM will work against China, especially not when China have the same system.

India has its own radars and tracking system. Indian main intention in S400 purchase is not the electronics but the missile design. India wants the design of the missile for use in XRSAM.
Sorry but this does not compute. You're a space fairing nation but purchased a small rocket design.:unsure: You're losing this argument badly.

Nope. Our S-400s will be tamper proof. You wanna defeat it, it's gonna be the hard way for anyone.
Only if you take out all the electronic and replace them, but then you may as well have just designed your own SAM.

Sorry but this does not compute. You're a space fairing nation but purchased a small rocket design.:unsure: You're losing this argument badly.
Maintaining control, compactness of chemical, guidance etc are way different for a SAM/BMD than that of a space rocket or simple missile. Since the idea is to intercept enemy missile, it is important that India has more understanding of the working.

Anyhow reality is that India does have its own SAM system and does not rely solely on S400

LOL, drones are not fighters. Chalk and cheese. Most drones don't even have EW, they're only just starting to get equipped now.
*Ahem* they do.
After 2011, CIA started using drone with EW. Even then, CIAs drones are still vulnerable to F-14 and they high tail when they see F-14 coming.
Read the link that I provided in my post.

BTW, point still remains that incorporating kill-switches is not exactly easy even for likes of USA. Or to ground entire Iranian fleet when US tried too hard. And yes, you can a fight an enemy having same weapons as you even if both your weapons were built by same manufacturers.

Last edited:
an India and represents a stronger ally. There is no way that SAM will work against China, especially not when China have the same system.
Do remember these are two very very different statements.

1. Russia will, or rather can, compromise India's SAM.
2. Russian SAMs will not work against China BECAUSE China also possesses them.

May I ask which one are you arguing?

And then there is one another statement that you speak: China will share information on how to compromise S-400 with Pakistan.

Which is laughable to say the least.

Japan is also nominally a space faring nation, a major industrialized nation and yet it buys US Patriot SAMs. Green lumber fallacy all over again.

*Ahem* they do.
After 2011, CIA started using drone with EW. Even then, CIAs drones are still vulnerable to F-14 and they high tail when they see F-14 coming.
Read the link that I provided in my post.

BTW, point still remains that incorporating kill-switches is not exactly easy even for likes of USA. Or to ground entire Iranian fleet when US tried too hard. And yes, you can a fight an enemy having same weapons as you even if both your weapons were built by same manufacturers.
Kill switch in 1970s plane is difficult as electronic development was poor back then. Today, things are mostly software run and hence kill switch is easy. F14 was 1970s plane and hence US could not kill it

Kill switch in 1970s plane is difficult as electronic development was poor back then. Today, things are mostly software run and hence kill switch is easy. F14 was 1970s plane and hence US could not kill it
I doubt that software makes it easy. Anything, software makes reverse engineering easier. You extract firmware from ROMs and begin reverse engineering. Compare that to reverse engineering an extremely complex analog or mixed signal chip.

Software's core idea is flexibility. And it cuts both ways.

True, current platform are more complex than past, but then current analysis tools are way way way more advanced than past tools. I can take a rom-dump right now and I have tools like IDA which can analyze entire logic for me. And this is not even state of the art.

I doubt that software makes it easy. Anything, software makes reverse engineering easier. You extract firmware from ROMs and begin reverse engineering. Compare that to reverse engineering an extremely complex analog or mixed signal chip.

Software's core idea is flexibility. And it cuts both ways.

True, current platform are more complex than past, but then current analysis tools are way way way more advanced than past tools. I can take a rom-dump right now and I have tools like IDA which can analyze entire logic for me. And this is not even state of the art.
Can you get software of Windows 10 in terms of code? No. But any analog circuit can be reverse engineered with sufficient patience. I am not simply speaking of getting the architecture of a chip but the softwares like Fly-by-wire, radar algorithm and coded signals of communication, softwares of integration of weapons etc can have a code that asks the plane to malfunction when a certain code is received either via satellite signals or other means. For example, the GPD receiver of USA plane may have certain bug because of which if USA sends certain signals for certain duration, the GPS will get compromised

Can you get software of Windows 10 in terms of code? No. But any analog circuit can be reverse engineered with sufficient patience.
*Ahem*
You can get entire portions of Windows 10 reversed engineered in hours. I have done it myself for my own reasons. Its not exactly too hard. There are books written on this topic which show how windows can be reverse engineered and 'undocumented' features of windows be studied.
Malware analysts do it all the time. They dis-assemble malware and windows component too --ie if they don't already have the code for that.

Heck, there exists a practice called as clean-room implementation to actually produce software based on reverse engineering. Linux in 2005 or 6 gained the ability to load windows drivers (network drivers) based on reverse engineering. There exists a windows clone project called ReactOS and a windows compatibility software for Linux called Wine.

Now lets see the hardware reverse engineering. Take a 180 nano-meter implementation of any older NVIDIA GPU, let us say Riva TNT from 1998, chipset and try reverse engineering it. None exists. There are registers in Nvidia GPU Chipset which no one knows what they do, and no one has determined what they do, even dating back from 1998.

Indian Air Force wants to buy second lot of S-400 missile systems from Russia

Given length of India’s borders and two long coastlines, more S-400s are required, top IAF officer says.

New Delhi: India may need a second squadron of the Russian S-400 missile defence system given the length of its borders and the Indian Air Force has projected this requirement to the government, a senior IAF officer has told The Print.

The contract for the first is set to be signed this week during the two-day visit of Russian President Vladimir Putin starting Thursday, a Kremlin official had announced in Moscow earlier this week.

“Let us get the first one in place and, yes, we may need to get a second one, given the length of our borders,” a senior Indian Air Force officer said after Air Chief Marshal Birendra Singh Dhanoa’s annual press conference here.

At the press conference, Dhanoa described the acquisition of both the Rafale fighter jet from France and the S-400 missile defence system from Russia as “game changers” and as a “booster dose” to shore up fast depleting numbers of squadrons and capabilities.

Despite US concerns
India and Russia are going ahead with the S-400 deal despite objections from the US. Strong lobbying by the Indian government has raised hopes in New Delhi that Washington will give a waiver for the purchase of the S-400.

“The CNC (contract negotiation committee) has sent the papers to the government,” the Air Chief Marshal said. “I don’t think CAATSA (Countering America’s Adversaries through The Sanctions Act) is going to come in the way.”

But the US has its own concerns over the S-400, apart from the stated position that it will sanction all military exports from Russia.

Its major — and unstated — concern over the S-400 is the range.

The range — up to 400 km — could possibly bring platforms used by the US and its NATO allies as “flying command posts” within its crosshairs. This means that the principle of “safety-from-a-distance”, or stand-off capability, of many US platforms could be called to question.

A battery of the S-400, complete with its auxiliary power unit, erector missile unit, missiles, radar and sensors, is also mobile, making its location difficult to detect.

In this background, if New Delhi were to express aloud that it wishes to go in for a second tranche of S-400s, the Trump administration would probably lose less sleep in sanctioning the transaction.

Almaz-Antey, the maker of the S-400, is on the list of Russian entities to be sanctioned. It is one of Russia’s largest defence companies.

But, as an IAF officer explained, given India’s lengthy and unsettled borders and two long coastlines, “it makes operational sense to have about 10 systems of the S-400”.

Apart from India, China has already contracted the S-400. Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Turkey are also in negotiations with Russia to contract the system.

Contract number one
In the current deal, the IAF has proposed to buy five systems for about $ 5.4 billion.

It would take up to 24 months from the contract for the Russians to deliver the systems, Air Chief Dhanoa said at the press conference.

The US offered a “comparable system” to India during the 2+2 talks between the foreign and defence ministers in early September. But the US does not have a system yet that mimics the S-400, Pentagon officials have admitted to Indian counterparts.

The S-400 missile batteries that India has proposed to buy would likely be stationed in New Delhi, Mumbai, the western border and on the east coast. But because they are road-mobile, their positions would not be static, the IAF officer explained.

Reactions: R!cK
The S-400 missile batteries that India has proposed to buy would likely be stationed in New Delhi, Mumbai, the western border and on the east coast. But because they are road-mobile, their positions would not be static, the IAF officer explained.

None in the North east then?

East coast could only mean Kalaikunda.

India to be the third country in the world to have the S-400 Triumf missile
Talking to FE ONLINE, Air Marshal (retd) Anil Chopra said, “The system consists of four separate missiles that cover the entire range and altitude envelope from close quarters to nearly 570 km for heavy bombers and shorter ranges for incoming missiles.”

“Each unit will have up to 32 missiles on launchers at any time. It is expected that two units will defend the National Capital Region and another two cover the Mumbai Baroda Industrial corridor,” Chopra added.

• Informative
Reactions: TARGET
*Ahem*
You can get entire portions of Windows 10 reversed engineered in hours. I have done it myself for my own reasons. Its not exactly too hard. There are books written on this topic which show how windows can be reverse engineered and 'undocumented' features of windows be studied.
Malware analysts do it all the time. They dis-assemble malware and windows component too --ie if they don't already have the code for that.

Heck, there exists a practice called as clean-room implementation to actually produce software based on reverse engineering. Linux in 2005 or 6 gained the ability to load windows drivers (network drivers) based on reverse engineering. There exists a windows clone project called ReactOS and a windows compatibility software for Linux called Wine.

Now lets see the hardware reverse engineering. Take a 180 nano-meter implementation of any older NVIDIA GPU, let us say Riva TNT from 1998, chipset and try reverse engineering it. None exists. There are registers in Nvidia GPU Chipset which no one knows what they do, and no one has determined what they do, even dating back from 1998.

Microsoft provides tool, documentation etc to help developers develop softwares to windows. But reverse engineering the source code itself is very difficult. The reactOS uses similar interface to make the appearance of Windows but is not same as Microsoft windows in real functioning. The clean room implementation is the process of making a software from scratch to mimic another software but does not make it identical. Though, reverse engineering is possible in areas which have not been encrypted

In case of objects like defence equipment, the software is also combined with hardware actuators. So, exact algorithm is hard to obtain just by observation. Also, the software tends to be encrypted t ensure reverse engineerring is not done by any third party. Nevertheless, a good idea can be obtained about the functioning of the equipment by observation and algorithm can be written in clean room to get a similar alternative.

However, dormant features like kill switch is very hard to find as actual reverse engineering is not easy (unless a bug or exploit is found). In addition, rewriting a code by replacing the original code is very hard as coordination with hardware has to be exact. It is easier to simply study the system, find the patterns, working of the system and then design a system inhouse to replicate those features but with own code, not reverse engineered code.

So, reverse engineering by study is possible but exact copy paste of source code is too hard as many critical items have encrypted software. But this studying and implementation requires highly experienced people and at least 10 years of experience working in the field

Last edited: