The days of fixed-power optics like the ACOG might be drawing to a close in the service of top Western SF units. The future belongs to the much-touted Low Power Variable Optics (LPVOs). Many US Tier-1 SOF units are already using them in a wide set of use-cases. Hope the Para-SFs acquire some good variable-power scopes of up to 6x or 8x magnification for the new SCAR-Hs they'll be getting (pretty sure they'll try out SIG 716s as well), put these scopes through their paces, generate feedback. Serves to stay ahead of the curve and acquire any possible advantage afforded by emerging technologies.

(pictures are of the TANGO6 scope from SIG Sauer's optics division)

6BB8272A-80B8-493B-BABA-746E50CF8AA2.jpeg

3EBA59A6-5C35-4846-98CC-6FE16C33B668.jpeg

5BBF7E66-85E4-4DBB-912E-106278C12CD3.jpeg

“We want to try out the AK-203 in the carbine role. We can remove the rifle’s butt completely to reduce its size and then it can be hidden easily under clothes to be used in close quarter combat operations against terrorists,” top Army sources told ANI. “If needed, more modifications can be done in the AK-203 to suit the carbine role requirement,” they said. “The carbines are also useful in close quarter combat and can be highly effective during operations like room interventions.” “Efforts are under process to acquire 93,000 carbines and the Defence Ministry has formed an oversight committee to look into the case.” A senior Lieutenant General-rank officer has been appointed as the member of the committee including other members from the Defence Ministry and the DRDO. The Defence Ministry is expected to take a call once the oversight committee submits its report.

Indian Army to test AK-203 in carbine role also against terrorists

Now that AK-203s will be produced at Korwa anyway, might as well build some AK-204s at the same plant as well. The 204 is the purpose-built carbine version of the 203, with a shorter barrel:

ak-204_02.jpg

Last edited:
Now that AK-203s will be produced at Korwa anyway, might as well build some AK-204s at the same plant as well. The 204 is the purpose-built carbine version of the 203, with a shorter barrel:

ak-204_02.jpg

But earlier army asked for 5.56 mm weighing 3 kg. AK-203/204 is 7.62 mm and weighs 4.1 kg. AK-202 seems a better option, it weighs 3.8 kg lighter and shorter.

main-qimg-2edace5d0023a85c64f2f716d689fd8e

But earlier army asked for 5.56 mm weighing 3 kg. AK-203/204 is 7.62 mm and weighs 4.1 kg. AK-202 seems a better option, it weighs 3.8 kg lighter and shorter.

main-qimg-2edace5d0023a85c64f2f716d689fd8e

The procurement process for the 5.56 carbine is still ongoing - we will get them (already mentioned in article), but in the meantime, Army is gonna try using the AK-203 in that role as well.

The L-1 in carbine competition is the CAR-816 from UAE-based Caracal, unless that deal (which is pending some approvals I believe) is cancelled for whatever reason, that will be the carbine that we'll buy. As far as I know, the Russians did not enter the AK-201/202 in that competition. The other reported competitors were SIG Sauer with its SIG 516, Thales Australia with its F90 carbine, and South Korea-based S&T Motiv, probably offering the K2C.

The days of fixed-power optics like the ACOG might be drawing to a close in the service of top Western SF units. The future belongs to the much-touted Low Power Variable Optics (LPVOs). Many US Tier-1 SOF units are already using them in a wide set of use-cases. Hope the Para-SFs acquire some good variable-power scopes of up to 6x or 8x magnification for the new SCAR-Hs they'll be getting (pretty sure they'll try out SIG 716s as well), put these scopes through their paces, generate feedback. Serves to stay ahead of the curve and acquire any possible advantage afforded by emerging technologies.

A good starting point might be the scope from Alpha Design Technologies...already used by forces in J&K:

WhatsApp Image 2018-11-23 at 10.10.58 PM.jpeg

It's specs aren't known to me though (magnification, objective lens diameter).

Last edited:
The L-1 in carbine competition is the CAR-816 from UAE-based Caracal, unless that deal (which is pending some approvals I believe) is cancelled for whatever reason, that will be the carbine that we'll buy. As far as I know, the Russians did not enter the AK-201/202 in that competition. The other reported competitors were SIG Sauer with its SIG 516, Thales Australia with its F90 carbine, and South Korea-based S&T Motiv, probably offering the K2C.

But AK-200 series was officially launched just last year while RFI was issued in 2017 i think. As Caracal chosen as L-1 bidder, S&T Motiv threatened to go supreme court, Thales protested too. That's why army increased the requirement. We may see Russia proposing AK-202 now also more firms like Colt, Beretta would participate after seeing the army finally buying 7.62mm rifles.

The procurement process for the 5.56 carbine is still ongoing - we will get them (already mentioned in article), but in the meantime, Army is gonna try using the AK-203 in that role as well.

The article says MoD will take the decision after the report. Also, the army is looking for 360,000 carbines now. Since, rest of the bidders protesting against Caracal, Russians won't miss this chance.

But AK-200 series was officially launched just last year while RFI was issued in 2017 i think.

Yeah.

As Caracal chosen as L-1 bidder, S&T Motiv threatened to go supreme court, Thales protested too. That's why army increased the requirement.

Um, what? The requirement was always the same (at least since the fast-tracking happened). Off the shelf purchase of ~93,000 and then a separate MII competition for 360,000. The MII RFI was re-issued in January this year. The problems with the off-the-shelf Fast Track deal were apparently resolved and a DAC clearance for the same was expected in recent MoD meet, but the approval didn't come then.

As of today, the Fast Track deal is still awaiting DAC approval. The vendor & product already been chosen (Caracal CAR-816) and no issues remain with regard to that anymore.

We may see Russia proposing AK-202 now also more firms like Colt, Beretta would participate after seeing the army finally buying 7.62mm rifles.

The article says MoD will take the decision after the report. Also, the army is looking for 360,000 carbines now. Since, rest of the bidders protesting against Caracal, Russians won't miss this chance.

In the MII deal for 3.6 lakh carbines, yes, as the RFI was only issued a couple months ago, there is a chance Kalashnikov will participate. But the Fast Track deal for 93,000-odd carbines is earmarked for Caracal already. Unless it gets cancelled, we will buy 93k CAR-816s off the shelf.

This is an incomplete post,I had much more to add,unfortunately I will not be able to complete this.As a mark of respect towards the fellow members ,I am posting this .However my emotions does not allow me to add more to this.There has been a sudden untimely demise of my father.In memory of my father ,I am leaving this post incomplete,as my life will be now.

I will bid adieu for now ,hope to be back someday.Don't want to sound preachy ,but don't wait for a special occasion,or another day to hug your parents and tell them how much your love them,life is fragile and unpredictable.

=============================================================================================

-Yes ,you are correct .If we go into technicality ,an AK with piston and gas block cannot have free floated barrel in its true sense,same goes with the AR platform or any other rifle with gas block or piston.

When we talk about free floated barrel /hand guard on ak ,it basically means that the hand guard will be devoid of any contact with the barrel.I had used the word "harmonics" in general way not in its technical term,by that I meant that any outside pressure on the hand guard like bi pod,sling,resting the hand guard on a support will not affect the barrel.

"Free floating " be it on ar or ak does not aim to arrest or reduce the vibrations on the barrel ,but to let the barrel vibrate freely in harmony,without any outside pressure point through the hand guard acting on it.Yes,free floating is more effective on heavier barrel but that does not mean it has no effect on thinner barrels.The main purpose is to avoid any outside pressure points working on the barrel..

So when we talk about free floating on AK ,it is basically to avoid any outside pressure on the hand guard acting on the barrel,which could lead to change in point of impact.As far as AK 15 is concerned ,the person who is involved in testing has reported improvement in accuracy due to free floating barrel/hand guard on it.

============================================================================================================================================

The small orders make sense in a way that ,if the weapons work as intended ,then they can place a repeat order and if they fail to impress,then they are not left with duds in large numbers.However large orders have its own merit in standardization,economy of scale and training.I believe its time that our special forces move away from tavor tar 21,as standard issue.Being special forces it make sense that they maintain an assortment of weapons,to be used as and when required ,however a certain kind of standardization in rifles and calibers is required.A unified special forces command could ensure this.

Coming to Rifles ,these are my choice :

7.62x51m = Scar-H is a very good rifle in this caliber.

5.56X45mm = Scar -L is a very good rifle,it was extensively tested by SOCOM against all the renowned rifles,where it came out on the top.However ,they concluded that despite the SCAR being relatively superior,the cost over benefits does not make sense to replace the existing inventory of m4.Hk 416 is also a good rifle,however it has its own set of issues,as reported by Norwegian military and US marines ,who have fielded HK416 in large numbers.

Nonetheless both these rifles are good but I don't agree with the exorbitant price tag they come with.The SIG 516gen 2 and CARACAL 816 are equally good platforms minus the hype .The SIG 516 is already in service in various special forces around the world Egyptian and Turkish for example,and have developed a good reputation among the user of this platform.With SIG 716 order already in its kitty,SIG would love to strengthen their bond with Indian military and could easily offer an attractive price for the 516.Regarding Caracal 816,I have heard nothing but praise about this rifle ,be it reviewers or civilian owners.What I like about this rifle is that being primarily developed for UAE ,it has been developed to work under dust and hot environment. Instead of being swayed by the SOCOM choice of weapons,it is imperative that our forces carry out their own trials before making any final decision.

7.62x39mm = My choice for this caliber would be AK 15 over AK 203 ,mainly because of its lower weight.

Machine guns :

Light Machine gune

MK 48 LMG is an excellent choice.

GPMG :

PKP pechneg chambered in 7.62x51mm -regular or either the bull pup variant.

SIG Sauer new LMG also looks interesting with capability to switch from .338 nm to 7.62x51mm in 5 minute,weight less than 10kg,effective range of 2000m.

Denel DMG -5 also look interesting with weight less than 9kg and effective range upto 1500m.

Heavy Machine gun

.50 browning machine gun :

Excellent choice,however with shift to .50 caliber machine gun and sniper rifles both in army and special forces it will make sense to have license production of both the .50 caliber ammunition and Browning machine gun within the country .

HMGs are meant to be fitted on the Light Strike Vehicle (LSVs) being procured from Pune-based Force Motors over the next three months.

Talking about Force motors LSV ,it is most probably this :

View attachment 5750
View attachment 5751
View attachment 5752

Sniper rifle :

Barrett M107 A1 :

Again an excellent choice,however I found it amusing that Army went in for bullpup M95 while Special forces chose traditional layout.

Beside these they should also buy a light weight 7.62x51mm bolt action sniper rifle, a semi automatic sniper rifle/DMR(I know we already have galatz,but I believe we can do better),.338 lapua magnum bolt action sniper rifle.

Regarding SAKO sniper rifles,I believe it will be SAKO trg M10 in .338 lapua magnum.
View attachment 5753

Helmet mounted night vision googles :

I have no idea what type of nvd they are purchasing ,however tonbo imaging has a nice lineup of products,I am disappointed on special forces giving them a miss on this.Hope whatever they import is better than anything Tonbo has to offer.

Carl-Gustaf M4 :

Again an excellent choice and something which will make sense in large numbers,across all the forces ,so TOT and license manufacturing is required.

Beside these they also need advance communication devices including headsets,advance IFAK kit,new standard modular plate carrier along with the SMPP bullet proof vest,New combat uniform with embedded elbow and knee pad,a standard set of new camo pattern,new combat boots etc

=======================================================================================================================================================================================

1.Well AK 203 in my opinion is among the best 7.62x39mm platform available right now,even though I would have preferred AK 15 over it due to its light weight and free float hand guard, but still AK 203 has strong merits of its own.Even though some issue might crop up with induction and use of AK 203,which is common with every weapon platform,I don't think there will be any major issues ,which can't be revised.Despite the absence of prolonged trials by our army,the performance of AK 103 (which is essentially the same rifle) in Pakistani trials and reputation of Kalashnikov induce confidence that this will turn out to be a good rifle.

General Staff Requirement (GSR) New Assault Rifle - Soldier Systems Daily

Regarding how much of an upgrade these will be over the AK being used by our army and terrorists :

1 These will be better rifles based on metallurgy and manufacturing process.Russian metallurgy is among the best when it comes to AK,a good metallurgy will result in better reliability in extreme heat or cold,better service life of rifle due to less wear and tear,ability to sustain heavy volume of fire.After years of production of AK platform ,they have mastered the production of AK pattern rifles,which will result in more accurate and reliable rifle.

2 Just like you cannot club all AR platforms into one,similarly all AK rifles are not equal.AK 203 represent the top tier of AK rifles based on its metallurgy,manufacturing process and design ,just like HK 416 is among the top tier of AR platform.

3. With a barrel length of around 16.33 inches it gets muzzle velocity of 715 m/s,which is greater than most of the 7.62x39mm rifles out there.More muzzle velocity will result in faster bullet,better trajectory and penetrating power.

4.AK 103 has a strong breech block ,which means that it can withstand higher pressure ,so a bullet with higher performance propellant can be used .

5. AK 203 comes with multiple rails,these will help in attachment of various accessories like bipod,IR laser ,flash lights,UGBL and optics.

6.The dust cover is redesigned and reinforced with heavier metal,this will ensure its stability while firing.It is hinged at the front and locked through a lever at the back,this will ensure repeat ability of zero,every time the cover is open for cleaning.

7. The new improved Flash hider will reduce the muzzle flash,thereby reducing the rifle signature ,as well as making the rifle more comfortable to shoot at night or while using nvd.It is a hybrid design so it also act as an compensator,thereby will reduce muzzle flip(jump of the rifle after firing).This will help in more stable shooting and quicker follow on shot.

8. It has a four position adjustable stock (length),this means that a shooter can adjust the rifle stock as per his comfort,different physical build and body armor are some factor which leads to different comfort level,at different length of the stock for the shooter.The stock is also side folding ,will result in ease of carrying in vehicles.You can attach a adjustable cheek riser on this stock,which will help you in comfortable cheek weld and easier eye and sight alignment.The stock also feature a rubber butt pad ,which will reduce the felt recoil.Despite being lightweight,adjustable polymer stock the stock is strong enough for firing UGBL and mele attack.

9.AK 203 at 4.1 kg is not only heavier than the regular AKM but also from most of the 7.62x39mm rifles.Assuming all the factors remain same in the rifle,the weight is inversely proportional to the felt recoil.In simple terms with increase in weight there will be a decrease in felt recoil.Therefore with an increased weight ,AK 203 will be more comfortable and stable to shoot.

10.It looks goods,which is a positive point in my eyes.

Late Post

Our condolences to you and your family - Prays with your all - take care of each other and God bless!!!

A good starting point might be the scope from Alpha Design Technologies...already used by forces in J&K
Well since you mentioned Alpha Design Technologies here are some of their products :
Daylight optical sight for AK. Seem reasonably well built. Who makes the scope rings and 1913 adapters for them, I wonder.
6847111_2684095010854076949342478496291908513696861o_jpeg07885f4f4ae97562d84c1e7e3a334154.jpg

Doesn't seem like this thing has a magnification dial. It does have a range, windage adjustment and elevation adjustment dial.
1554718920841.png

A scope of this kind is usually used by snipers/DMRs, not with AK. As far as I know, AK series rifles don't have a semi-auto mode. So you can expect reasonably high degrees of precision in the initial burst. Beyond that, its pretty redundant.

Oh and Alpha also makes spotter scopes.
6847145_2691077910854075516009285440722549904522053o_jpegdcb8744354901516e6c9dbdb1274e348.jpg

This one says 15-45x zoom

Well since you mentioned Alpha Design Technologies here are some of their products :
Daylight optical sight for AK. Seem reasonably well built. Who makes the scope rings and 1913 adapters for them, I wonder.
View attachment 5818
Doesn't seem like this thing has a magnification dial. It does have a range, windage adjustment and elevation adjustment dial.

I wondered if they were variable-power or not. Never saw a close-up of them though.

A scope of this kind is usually used by snipers/DMRs, not with AK. As far as I know, AK series rifles don't have a semi-auto mode. So you can expect reasonably high degrees of precision in the initial burst. Beyond that, its pretty redundant.

All AKs have a semi-auto mode. It's the bottom-most position on the fire selector.

main-qimg-fcbfa754c4ac4fc969d840daa6453b9f

I wondered if they were variable-power or not. Never saw a close-up of them though.
That is the best image I could dig up on the internet. Given that most scopes have magnification dial/ring behind the hub, near the ocular lens and no such ring is visible on the photo of this scope, we can assume it doesn't have variable power. However, another strange observation to be made is the presence of marked position on only one dial(left side dial) and the rest seems to be devoid of them. Is that normal ? who knows maybe that's the magnification dial.
All AKs have a semi-auto mode. It's the bottom-most position on the fire selector.
Totally didn't know of this, thanks. So an AK can be used as a DMR at small ranges with a LPVO, maybe that's the role they serve in the Army.

That is the best image I could dig up on the internet. Given that most scopes have magnification dial/ring behind the hub, near the ocular lens and no such ring is visible on the photo of this scope, we can assume it doesn't have variable power.

No, the ADTL scope does not have variable power. The pic you provided was enough to verify that - I was saying I never saw a close up of the scope prior to this.

However, another strange observation to be made is the presence of marked position on only one dial(left side dial) and the rest seems to be devoid of them. Is that normal ? who knows maybe that's the magnification dial.

The one on left is usually the parallax adjustment (ensuring your crosshair/reticle is on same focal plane as the target, so that the target doesn't appear to move away from the reticle when you move your head).

Typically, the top knob is for elevation and the right one for windage adjustments. I wonder if the reason for the lack of markings is because they clearly appear to have caps on them. Even the pic I posted of the scope in active use has the caps as well. Perhaps we will see markings if those caps are removed.

Totally didn't know of this, thanks. So an AK can be used as a DMR at small ranges with a LPVO, maybe that's the role they serve in the Army.

Like I said, I don't know the specs of the ADTL scope. If it's anything like the OFB-made scope typically seen on INSAS LMGs (pic below) and has a magnification of 2.5x then it's not a great optic for marksmanship at range (although it'll still be able to place accurate fire out to a much longer distance than an AK equipped with nothing but iron sights or otherwise a non-magnifying optic).

insas_lmg_l3.jpg

^^ for all that length (which gives 6x LPVOs a run for their money), the OFB scope only offers a max power of 2.5x

If someone were to brandish the ADTL scope to me and ask me to take a guess of its power, I'd say 6x right off the bat. But I don't know how comfortable I'd feel if I was asked to go into battle with a scope fixed at 6x and without having any offset or scope-mounted RMR or something of that ilk...could get ugly...

YHM_scope1-6x_mrds_8580.jpg

4692273_1110.jpg

When it comes down to it...even a custom pair of offset irons can be a live saver:

image4.jpg

Let our forces get a taste for the modularity and customizable nature of rifles with P-rail interfaces...they'll never want to take another look at INSAS or the old AKs again.

No, the ADTL scope does not have variable power. The pic you provided was enough to verify that - I was saying I never saw a close up of the scope prior to this.

The one on left is usually the parallax adjustment (ensuring your crosshair/reticle is on same focal plane as the target, so that the target doesn't appear to move away from the reticle when you move your head).

Typically, the top knob is for elevation and the right one for windage adjustments. I wonder if the reason for the lack of markings is because they clearly appear to have caps on them. Even the pic I posted of the scope in active use has the caps as well. Perhaps we will see markings if those caps are removed.

Like I said, I don't know the specs of the ADTL scope. If it's anything like the OFB-made scope typically seen on INSAS LMGs (pic below) and has a magnification of 2.5x then it's not a great optic for marksmanship at range (although it'll still be able to place accurate fire out to a much longer distance than an AK equipped with nothing but iron sights or otherwise a non-magnifying optic).

View attachment 5834
^^ for all that length (which gives 6x LPVOs a run for their money), the OFB scope only offers a max power of 2.5x

If someone were to brandish the ADTL scope to me and ask me to take a guess of its power, I'd say 6x right off the bat. But I don't know how comfortable I'd feel if I was asked to go into battle with a scope fixed at 6x and without having any offset or scope-mounted RMR or something of that ilk...could get ugly...

YHM_scope1-6x_mrds_8580.jpg

4692273_1110.jpg

When it comes down to it...even a custom pair of offset irons can be a live saver:

image4.jpg

Let our forces get a taste for the modularity and customizable nature of rifles with P-rail interfaces...they'll never want to take another look at INSAS or the old AKs again.
OT - Can you do a write up on the DARPA - One Shot One Kill System Project ? - It will be a good info for this thread no?

Typically, the top knob is for elevation and the right one for windage adjustments.
Isn't the idea of which knob is what obtained from mostly American made scopes ? That's what I was saying. Maybe the ADTL scope has different knob positioning that doesn't conform to American/international standards.
I wonder if the reason for the lack of markings is because they clearly appear to have caps on them. Even the pic I posted of the scope in active use has the caps as well. Perhaps we will see markings if those caps are removed.
Knobs can have caps on them ? I thought only the objective and ocular lens have caps. Why would knobs need caps anyway ?
If someone were to brandish the ADTL scope to me and ask me to take a guess of its power, I'd say 6x right off the bat. But I don't know how comfortable I'd feel if I was asked to go into battle with a scope fixed at 6x and without having any offset or scope-mounted RMR or something of that ilk...could get ugly
Point made. But I do have to point out that I haven't seen two soldiers with ADTL scope AK operating together. Its always one guy with a ADTL and another without any scope. Maybe the idea is similar to a sniper/spotter team, one guy handles long range the other handles short range. Whatever that maybe, using one 6x scope without variable power will likely highlight the need for a LPVO along with an off-set sight.
This to a small degree is happening today. The usage of M4A1 and Tavor TAR21 has highlighted the advantages that a 1913 rail brings. Reason why those FAB mods on AK are selling like hot cakes.

Isn't the idea of which knob is what obtained from mostly American made scopes ? That's what I was saying. Maybe the ADTL scope has different knob positioning that doesn't conform to American/international standards.

For a scope in this form factor, I doubt it. Even most modern designs coming out of Russia for long scopes are the same. Case in point being the 1P69 used on newer SV-98s:

screenshot010.png0690f168-15c0-4901-9b86-ce05f45e7040Original.jpg

It's more or less a universal standard nowadays to have the magnification adjustment dial placed horizontally along the diameter toward the ocular lens - for scopes of the longer form factors. Besides its a stretch to imagine ADTL which has pretty modest to no prior experience with optics (before this scope) to come out with an LPVO, now that I think about it.

Knobs can have caps on them ? I thought only the objective and ocular lens have caps. Why would knobs need caps anyway ?

A lot of scopes do have caps for knobs, though not all. Mainly to prevent damage and/or accidental changes to adjustment if it were to hit or brush against something.

images - 2019-04-09T162206.862.jpeg

The ADTL one certainly does - as in the INDRA Networks pic you posted you can clearly see on the top knob the sling which keeps the cap attached to the scope even after removing so you don't lose it. It's similar to the cap found on the ELCAN Spectre DR:

ELCANSPDRFDE_edited-1__07071.jpg

Besides its a stretch to imagine ADTL which has pretty modest to no prior experience with optics (before this scope) to come out with an LPVO, now that I think about it.
Interesting point you raise there. Do they have a JV with any body ? Using a rubber collapsible tube at the end of the ocular lens to form a safe eye relief is a very Russian design concept. A lot of Russian designed scopes use that including the 1P69 scope you talked about. Whereas American/European scopes don't use any such thing. Is there any Russian company making LPVO scopes ?
A lot of scopes do have caps for knobs, though not all. Mainly to prevent damage and/or accidental changes to adjustment if it were to hit or brush against something.
Very interesting this. But why would a knob cap have markings like the ones visible on the left knob cover ? Can the knobs be manipulated with out taking the cover off ?

P.S. : One must complement the deserving. You my dear sir, are by far the most knowledgeable small arms specialist that I have ever had the good fortune of interacting with. You have single-handedly clarified dozens of my doubts. I realise I can be quite the pain at times, so thank you for bearing with me.

Interesting point you raise there. Do they have a JV with any body ?

Not that I know of, however the Raptor RDS they produce (not to be confused with Tonbo's Raptor TI sight) is actually from Israel's ITL Optronics (same company that makes the MARS sights for Para's TAR-21s). But it doesn't seem the magnifier in question is a licensed product from anyone.

RAPTOR_636281062624218296_300.JPG

Using a rubber collapsible tube at the end of the ocular lens to form a safe eye relief is a very Russian design concept. A lot of Russian designed scopes use that including the 1P69 scope you talked about. Whereas American/European scopes don't use any such thing.

Not much of a design philosophy there, usually the rubber eyepieces are for when the length of the scope is too great compared to the length of the receiver of the weapon and the chance of hurting your eye due to recoil is high. Beyond that, it's a comfort thing (I suppose it also helps mitigate glare to a degree, but Western users don't seem to think they're useful).

You can buy aftermarket pieces that you can tack on to Western-pattern scopes as well, no big deal.

Is there any Russian company making LPVO scopes ?

Only major company I know of is Zenit. But doesn't look like their product catalog has any LPVOs of the type we ought to have.

Very interesting this. But why would a knob cap have markings like the ones visible on the left knob cover ? Can the knobs be manipulated with out taking the cover off ?

It differs from manufacturer to manufacturer. Not all models are same or serve same purpose. There are aftermarket knob caps that exist which are designed to offer a better grip for tuning the dials (especially for when wearing thick gloves) if the stock knobs aren't good enough on a particular scope. Those types will have markings.

Others are merely to ensure no damage comes to the knob or that it doesn't accidentally turn, like I said. These won't have any markings.

• Informative
Reactions: Gautam
Previously, MKU used to have JVs with both Caracal LLC as well as Thales Australia in the carbine competition. But the original carbine tender fell through and the RFI was re-issued in January this year. Now, Thales Australia's local manufacturing partner is Kalyani Group. The product on offer is indeed the F90-CQB bullpup carbine, same as in the previous tender.

Thales, Kalyani team up for Indian carbine requirement | Jane's 360

13256061_10156928720075416_7426466635069438056_n-cb123897d2f6acd7a6fbe8f5528104a8.jpg

Other possible contenders:

S&T Motiv (South Korea) -- K2C carbine -- No local partner decided yet, afaik

CsWj0VHUkAAkEXD.jpg

SIG Sauer (United States) -- SIG516 Patrol -- No local partner decided yet, afaik (pic is the 'G1' model, though not clearly defined in the 516 catalog as it is in the 716 description)

66-1420900762-7ac8f59964edf2ef0f4c3ca234c3bebc.jpg

Caracal (UAE) -- CAR 816 -- Tied up with MKU. Already selected as L-1 in the fast-track deal

car_816_l1.jpg

Unconfirmed, but still possible contenders:

IWI (Israel) -- ACE 23 -- Tied up with Punj Llyod. Only one among these companies to have established small arms production capacity in India

Galil-ACE-GAR16-556-left-side-mag.jpg

IWI (Israel) -- X95 -- Production of this gun is already underway in India via the PLRS JV, I hope its the 'Gen2' version with continuous top rail

IWI-Tavor-X95-1.jpg

Kalashnikov (Russia) -- AK-201/202 -- the AK-203 is already contracted for local production at OFB Korwa. 201 is a 5.56 version of the same, 202 is a short-barrel carbine variant (pic is of the AK-101M but the 201 looks exactly the same)

AK-201_ARMIA-2018_01.JPG

It is still unclear whether FNH and Colt are interested in participating (they previously decided they've had just about enough with the nonsensical cancellations and re-tendering in the Indian MoD and showed themselves out), if they do decide to come back:

Colt (United States) -- Colt Monolithic Carbine/LE6940 or one of the other in Colt's stable of 5.56 rifles -- No local partner yet

wm_5514913.jpg

FN Herstal (Belgium) -- SCAR-L -- No local partner yet

LX4BcAz.jpg

Previously, MKU used to have JVs with both Caracal LLC as well as Thales Australia in the carbine competition. But the original carbine tender fell through and the RFI was re-issued in January this year. Now, Thales Australia's local manufacturing partner is Kalyani Group. The product on offer is indeed the F90-CQB bullpup carbine, same as in the previous tender.

Thales, Kalyani team up for Indian carbine requirement | Jane's 360

13256061_10156928720075416_7426466635069438056_n-cb123897d2f6acd7a6fbe8f5528104a8.jpg

Other possible contenders:

S&T Motiv (South Korea) -- K2C carbine -- No local partner decided yet, afaik

CsWj0VHUkAAkEXD.jpg

SIG Sauer (United States) -- SIG516 Patrol -- No local partner decided yet, afaik (pic is the 'G1' model, though not clearly defined in the 516 catalog as it is in the 716 description)

66-1420900762-7ac8f59964edf2ef0f4c3ca234c3bebc.jpg

Caracal (UAE) -- CAR 816 -- Tied up with MKU. Already selected as L-1 in the fast-track deal

car_816_l1.jpg

Unconfirmed, but still possible contenders:

IWI (Israel) -- ACE 23 -- Tied up with Punj Llyod. Only one among these companies to have established small arms production capacity in India

Galil-ACE-GAR16-556-left-side-mag.jpg

IWI (Israel) -- X95 -- Production of this gun is already underway in India via the PLRS JV, I hope its the 'Gen2' version with continuous top rail

IWI-Tavor-X95-1.jpg

Kalashnikov (Russia) -- AK-201/202 -- the AK-203 is already contracted for local production at OFB Korwa. 201 is a 5.56 version of the same, 202 is a short-barrel carbine variant (pic is of the AK-101M but the 201 looks exactly the same)

View attachment 5856

It is still unclear whether FNH and Colt are interested in participating (they previously decided they've had just about enough with the nonsensical cancellations and re-tendering in the Indian MoD and showed themselves out), if they do decide to come back:

Colt (United States) -- Colt Monolithic Carbine/LE6940 or one of the other in Colt's stable of 5.56 rifles -- No local partner yet

wm_5514913.jpg

FN Herstal (Belgium) -- SCAR-L -- No local partner yet

LX4BcAz.jpg
Sorry - I do know that you might have answered this before - This Fast track deal is meant for which forces? CAPFs or IA?

Sorry - I do know that you might have answered this before - This Fast track deal is meant for which forces? CAPFs or IA?

IA. Mostly for forward deployed forces.

The carbines are likely to have a huge operator base...

Rashtriya Rifles
Ghatak platoons
Tank/AFV crews
Section commanders (same weapon as rest of section makes more sense, but remains to be seen)

The reason why units like RR and others are resorting to AKs for a large variety of use-cases is partly due to the total lack of a reasonably light weapon capable of adequate stopping power. The only 'carbine' in service issue to regular forces is the Sterling (SAF Carbine), a submachine gun chambering a totally inadequate pistol-calibre 9mm round. We never had an M4A1 analogue in 5.56x45...the INSAS rifle is an M16A2 analogue. A heavier, uglier, less reliable M16 with 10 rounds less in the magazine.

No wonder the CI/CT units ditched it in favour of the lighter, shorter, full-auto AKs.

EDIT: It's my belief that once the CAR-816s are procured, a lot of forces who we thought would stick with AK-203 might actually start showing a preference to the Caracal carbine instead.