Sukhoi Su-30MKI

The recent exercise by IAF has actually opened thr eyes to the potential of SU-30MKis long legs. It now has no problem of basing as it can be diverted to any airbase in any part of India.
What're you saying Sir ? That it's taken 2 decades of experience with the MKI such a simple fact ?

Can you justify this statement with relevant citations ? Prima facie it doesn't make sense , unless those jets are built to Super Sukhoi specs.

We are going to order CKDs from Russia. So Russia makes them in a nearly 3 year process and we will take 2 months to assemble them. Except for 60 jets, pretty much all our HAL produced jets were CKDs.

well they tried it first time in the last exercise.

I really don't know what to say . The competence and expertise of our armed forces never ceases to amaze me .

The IAF has been performing long distance flying for more than a decade now.

This exercise, they are just advertising capability they have used for a long time now.

The MKIs have regularly conducted strike missions training over A&N from the mainland.

That project is dead and these additional 40-60 su-30MKI CKDs from Russian line is the compensation for them to not bother much about FGFA and just forget it.

I always post with the assumption that your jet won't exist. Regardless, we will need the FGFA or even the earlier 3 PAK FA squadron from Russian lines are fine, if FGFA is not possible. The only reason I say this is because when IAF said AMCA will duplicate FGFA R&D, the Varthaman panel said no. And that both programs can happen in parallel.

We are going to order CKDs from Russia. So Russia makes them in a nearly 3 year process and we will take 2 months to assemble them. Except for 60 jets, pretty much all our HAL produced jets were CKDs.

Why do we have to import CKD s ?

Anyways Nasik plant will be having no work after current batch.

Only when su 30 upgradation and production needs to go simultaneously or FGFA production gets started.. we need to get CKDs ..

Sorry I forgot about this subject discussion done previously. Milspec not agreeing with you then . Only that much I remember.

Pleaser repeat once more for us.
what s the need for importing CKDs ?

Only when su 30 upgradation and production needs to go simultaneously or FGFA production gets started.. we need to get CKDs ..

Sorry I forgot about this subject discussion done previously. Milspec not agreeing with you then . Only that much I remember.

Even if upgradation is happening simultaneously, the plants which produce goods and their workers will not be having work if CKD is imported. RandomRadio does not know to manage companies and production. He is simply speaking out of inexperience

Su-30 SM the russian derivative of Su-30 MKI uses AL-31 FP so, none of the Su-27/30 family uses AL-41 or AL-31 F 117 except Su-35 and Su-35 is aerodynamically different, So would it not require Su-30 MKI or Su-30 SM to be tested with the AL-41 or AL-31 117 engines and to certifiy it for use on the above planes?

I hope these 40-60 Su-30s come with AL-41 engines or 117 engines.

Su-30 SM the russian derivative of Su-30 MKI uses AL-31 FP so, none of the Su-27/30 family uses AL-41 or AL-31 F 117 except Su-35 and Su-35 is aerodynamically different, So would it not require Su-30 MKI or Su-30 SM to be tested with the AL-41 or AL-31 117 engines and to certifiy it for use on the above planes?

I hope these 40-60 Su-30s come with AL-41 engines or 117 engines.

As I said, the IAF top brass has no clue how to use its weapons, Its like they have been given HK-MP5 and they would use it to kill cockroaches and mice.
IAF has aircraft which have enough capability that strengthwise it exceeds the 90s capability of its 45 squadrons, but IAF being Imported Air force and greedy and manipulative (ACM Tyagi and NAK Browne) they are insisting on more planes to fill the numbers.
Considering the range, avionics, weapons and performance, of MiG-21 vis a vis Su-30 MKI. we can have 1 squadron of Su-30 MKI fulfilling the duties of 3-5 squadrons of Mig-21. With longer ranged radar, longer ranged missiles, Su-30 MKI would be able to take down the top PAF plane flying 50 km in their air space without even entering Pakistani air space. IT was not possible for the MiG-21 to do that.

IAF top brass are too experienced and have very less idea about what weapons they have, and how exactly to use them effectively. They dont know what they NEED, they just know what they want.. When thirsty, you NEED, WATER, and during that time Pepsi is a WANT. thats IAF in nutshell.

Well for more than a decade IAF did not have a clue that Su-30 MKI or MiG-29 can be used for multi roles including strikes else we would have used these planes more capably, we just limited these planes to air superiority.. thats IAF in nutshell. And the same jokers are finding flaws in Tejas, when the Mirage 2000 even after upgrade is less capable than Tejas (This is said by the pilots who have flown both Mirage 2000 and Tejas)

What're you saying Sir ? That it's taken 2 decades of experience with the MKI such a simple fact ?

Reactions: Shekhar Singh
Reviews

Old Discussion was, whether to upgrade the AL 31 engine s in India or to get new engine s
Don't know how it's progressing now.

That's the deal with the Russians, and this is the same thing HAL has offered too, import 40 CKDs.

This is one of the primary reasons why I don't support more MKIs. It's pointless and a waste of money. Money that can go into more Rafales and LCAs.

Reactions: Ironhide and Sathya
That's the deal with the Russians, and this is the same thing HAL has offered too, import 40 CKDs.

This is one of the primary reasons why I don't support more MKIs. It's pointless and a waste of money. Money that can go into more Rafales and LCAs.

Do you really think that MII Rafales will start
Before 2022

The earliest MII agreement for Rafales will be signed in 2019 after the elections

It will take at least three years for the first MII Rafale to roll out

And the first MK1 A will also come after 2022

So we have no option but to keep making Sukhois till 2023

• Agree
Reactions: _Anonymous_
You can be really thick sometimes . One of the only reason more MKI's are being sought , apart from catering to the attrition , is in the coming 3-5 years , there's going to be no sign of either the MK1a or the additional Rafales whether imported or thru MII.

Do you really think that MII Rafales will start
Before 2022

The earliest MII agreement for Rafales will be signed in 2019 after the elections

It will take at least three years for the first MII Rafale to roll out

And the first MK1 A will also come after 2022

So we have no option but to keep making Sukhois till 2023
MII already start with the current contract of 36 Rafale. MII is not the same than Rafale MII, for the moment it's mainly Falcon 2000 MII, but there is also Rafale parts which will be produced in India. I have translated an internal news from Dassault in a serie of 10 posts begining here:
MMRCA 2.0 - Update and discussion
This step is needed to set up Rafale MII, because Falcon 2000 MII is less complex compare to Rafale MII and it's a good approach to create skill in India, and an ecosystem, both needed for Rafale MII. Rafale MII will start with the next batch of Rafale even if it is only 36 Rafale.
The posts, I translated show the Dassault approach, but there is such plan for Thales and SAFRAN too.

Last edited:
Here's the latest from PKS's blog where he seems to indicate that the latest batch of MKI's to be ordered from HAL will be Super Sukhoi's , presumably in the form of CKD's from Russia. Otherwise , the concept of CKD's from Russia doesn't make sense .
Screenshot_2018-08-11-14-27-06-892.jpeg