Sukhoi Su-30MKI

Strategic Partnership Model i.e. the method under which we plan to procure the 114 new jets.

What's the major difference between the new "method" and the previous one (under which we almost signed the Rafale deal)? Or is it just the same deal with slightly different numbers and a new name?

What's the major difference between the new "method" and the previous one (under which we almost signed the Rafale deal)? Or is it just the same deal with slightly different numbers and a new name?

SPM is basically designed to encourage a local private (or public) company to tie up with a foreign company and offer a product that they can manufacture in-country.

Nothing that hasn't been done before per se, but under this model, this method of production is particularly encouraged, where multiple local companies can compete by tying up with multiple foreign companies.

These will be bought in kits from Russia so, i don't think HAL would take much time to assemble them.

Oh, they will milk them. They took 90 days for assembly earlier too.

India. I think the plan is to upgrade while the jets are overhauled.

Ok, then we can safely assume that it is a non-starter. DARIN III is 6 years delayed and counting :)

Love the HAL - High Aircraft Liability! ;)

Yes. HAL will overhaul 20 jets a year, while IAF's BRD can upgrade 10. So the upgrades can easily come in at that rate for the entire fleet.

Marked it funny for the bold!

One major benefit under the new policy that is immediately seen is HAL entering into a JV with Boeing and Mahindra Defence for F-18 offering.

Reactions: RATHORE

Two parallel tenders. One to choose the jet, the other to choose the Indian company. Then the winning jet and Indian company tie up for production.

After the winners are chosen, the tender will be withdrawn and the deal will be signed under GTG.

Reactions: RATHORE
Marked it funny for the bold!

It's the total capacity they have catered for, it can even go up to 25. Right now, they are sanctioned for 12 a year and the program has just started, so it will take time for them to peak. But the upgrade can happen at peak rates since it's a few years away.

One major benefit under the new policy that is immediately seen is HAL entering into a JV with Boeing and Mahindra Defence for F-18 offering.

These JVs are only to show willingness on part of the OEMs. For example, even the Dassault-Reliance partnership will become largely irrelevant if Reliance is not made the SP. Adani and Saab have the same understanding, but with the same caveat, meaning the JV will come into force only if Adani is made the SP.

HAL is the least likely among all companies to become a SP. The entire exercise is to bring private companies to the fore.

India. I think the plan is to upgrade while the jets are overhauled.

Indian Air Force Su-30 aircraft

India’s state-run Hindustan Aeronautics Limited has decided to overhaul 25 Su-30 jets every year, up from 12.

"The Ministry of Defence has plans to increase the overhauling capacity of Sukhoi 30 up to 25 aircrafts a year in the future," Subash Bhamre, Union minister of state for defence was quoted as saying by Times of India Thursday.

HAL has so far manufactured 260 Su-30 aircraft, with two more to be manufactured by the end of this year.

Overhaulingof Su-30 aircraft increases its lifespan by 10 years from original 10.

"The first batch of aircraft manufactured in 2004 completed 10 years in 2014. Currently, HAL has been overhauling 12 Su-30 aircraft a year at its Ozar division, the news daily reported quoting an unnamed source as saying

We were discussing few days back

Indian Air Force Su-30 aircraft

India’s state-run Hindustan Aeronautics Limited has decided to overhaul 25 Su-30 jets every year, up from 12.

"The Ministry of Defence has plans to increase the overhauling capacity of Sukhoi 30 up to 25 aircrafts a year in the future," Subash Bhamre, Union minister of state for defence was quoted as saying by Times of India Thursday.

HAL has so far manufactured 260 Su-30 aircraft, with two more to be manufactured by the end of this year.

Overhaulingof Su-30 aircraft increases its lifespan by 10 years from original 10.

"The first batch of aircraft manufactured in 2004 completed 10 years in 2014. Currently, HAL has been overhauling 12 Su-30 aircraft a year at its Ozar division, the news daily reported quoting an unnamed source as saying

We were discussing few days back

Yeah, this was coming. So we will soon have 25 from HAL and 10 from IAF.

• Informative
Reactions: Sathya and Hellfire
Yeah, this was coming. So we will soon have 25 from HAL and 10 from IAF.

What I want to know is, when are we going to see the Super-MKI?

As far as I know, the upgrade program has not been funded yet. Realistically I don't think we can expect the first Super-MKI to be flying any time before 2025.

What I want to know is, when are we going to see the Super-MKI?

As far as I know, the upgrade program has not been funded yet. Realistically I don't think we can expect the first Super-MKI to be flying any time before 2025.

Development of technologies has already started. Mission computer, cockpit, IRST, LWS, MAWS and EW suite will be Indian, along with navigation and communications. If necessary even the radar can be Indian, although one for the Flanker is already in development in Russia, which the Russians plan to use for Su-35 and Su-30SM. The engine is already production ready. FBW has developed a lot through Su-35 and SM programs.

So once the IAF finalises the specs, a contract can be done and the first jet configured and tested very quickly. So the program has already been funded. Only the Mk1A-zation is left.

Right now only the radar is in question. IAF even has the option of going for the Irbis-E in Phase I for faster induction. Dunno if the IAF is interested in Uttam for the MKI, but they are most definitely waiting for the Russian one.

I'm actually hoping for a Su-35++ level airframe modification. Basically use more composites wherever possible, particularly the inlets and fins, and remove the airbrakes and replace with a fuel tank. This is the only aspect of the program I have doubts about.

Reactions: Sathya
Development of technologies has already started. Mission computer, cockpit, IRST, LWS, MAWS and EW suite will be Indian, along with navigation and communications. If necessary even the radar can be Indian, although one for the Flanker is already in development in Russia, which the Russians plan to use for Su-35 and Su-30SM. The engine is already production ready. FBW has developed a lot through Su-35 and SM programs.

So once the IAF finalises the specs, a contract can be done and the first jet configured and tested very quickly. So the program has already been funded. Only the Mk1A-zation is left.

Right now only the radar is in question. IAF even has the option of going for the Irbis-E in Phase I for faster induction. Dunno if the IAF is interested in Uttam for the MKI, but they are most definitely waiting for the Russian one.

I'm actually hoping for a Su-35++ level airframe modification. Basically use more composites wherever possible, particularly the inlets and fins, and remove the airbrakes and replace with a fuel tank. This is the only aspect of the program I have doubts about.

Is there a possibility of a Spectra type of systemisation for the Sukhois?

Is there a possibility of a Spectra type of systemisation for the Sukhois?

Yes. That's the reason why everything that's actually part of Spectra will be Indian on the MKI.

DATPCNnWsAAxm5z.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Hellfire and Sathya