Tejas Mk2 (Medium Weight Fighter) - News and discussions

I think TEDBF will be a new design instead of delta wing configuration like Rafale or Tejas. Maybe something similar to AMCA, that is with horizontal stablizers. Or who knows, maybe they want Naval AMCA to be known as TEDBF.
The best idea to minimise Development time is to go for one of the MANY AMCA designs.
ADA had some 9 designs for AMCA,so there is a variety to chose from.

Work should begin ASAP and Funds should be allocated right away.

In ten years? twenty years? Or you will change the specs in between?

This story of specs changing has never been true. LCA specs have remained the same since 1985. Also, the only changes have mostly to do with weapons and some avionics.

MWF goal is to enter assembly stage in 2028 so that we can have at least 1 or 2 squadrons by the end of 2030.

For TEDBF, it's 2030+.
Mirage 2000 is one target.
Rafale, twin engined, another far harder.

Yes, but we do have to get started on it sometime.
If the MWF does not hit the production line by 2029, the project will be scrapped as per a **** source.

No such thing will happen. HAL needs MWF for the next 2 decades.

Reactions: AdityaH2R
This story of specs changing has never been true. LCA specs have remained the same since 1985. Also, the only changes have mostly to do with weapons and some avionics.

MWF goal is to enter assembly stage in 2028 so that we can have at least 1 or 2 squadrons by the end of 2030.

For TEDBF, it's 2030+.

Yes, but we do have to get started on it sometime.

No such thing will happen. HAL needs MWF for the next 2 decades.
Going by HAL's track record, I have serious doubts of whether they will be able to comply with the deadline. The current order of 40 Tejas Mk1 has to be completed by 2022 so that production of Mk1A can start, it will take HAL 5 years to complete the order of 83 if they are able to manufacture 16 aircraft per year.

• Agree
Reactions: Volcano
Going by HAL's track record, I have serious doubts of whether they will be able to comply with the deadline. The current order of 40 Tejas Mk1 has to be completed by 2022 so that production of Mk1A can start, it will take HAL 5 years to complete the order of 83 if they are able to manufacture 16 aircraft per year.

Production is not going to be a problem. Finishing development is the real problem.

Harsh Vardhan Thakur, HAL's test pilot posted this on twitter :
1577852257287.png

What's ORCA ? Omni Role Combat Aircraft ? Also do I see conformal fuel tanks on that spine ? The engine nozzle looks too big for a single engine and the radome is serated. HAL has definately upped its game in the simulation software field.

View attachment 12575

What's ORCA ? Omni Role Combat Aircraft ? Also do I see conformal fuel tanks on that spine ? The engine nozzle looks too big for a single engine and the radome is serated. HAL has definately upped its game in the simulation software field.
Isn't that a twin Engine?? Tedbf? I too see a conformal tank on either sides. Could be that or could it be the engine ( very rare chance though)

Isn't that a twin Engine?? Tedbf?
Isn't the Navy's TEDBF supposed to be a completely new design, which borrows nothing from the Tejas ? This is clearly based on the Tejas. Maybe the IAF also wants a twin engine fighter. In which case what's the point of MMRCA 2.0 ?
Close coupled engines like the Eurofighter Typhoon and Rafale, CFT like F-16V. Canards like Typhoon and re-fuelling probe like Rafale. If it is a twin engine fighter, I wonder what the intakes look like.

1577860985457.png

• Agree
Reactions: vingensys
Isn't the Navy's TEDBF supposed to be a completely new design, which borrows nothing from the Tejas ? This is clearly based on the Tejas. Maybe the IAF also wants a twin engine fighter. In which case what's the point of MMRCA 2.0 ?
Close coupled engines like the Eurofighter Typhoon and Rafale, CFT like F-16V. Canards like Typhoon and re-fuelling probe like Rafale. If it is a twin engine fighter, I wonder what the intakes look like.

View attachment 12581
This is clearly a modified MWF with twin engine . So that's there and tedbf is supposed to be a clean sheet design.
This seems like a wish list of iaf pilots. Rafalesque design, but then as you said mmrca 2.0 won't fit in. Hope there will be more clarity in coming days.

Also the design is not LO optimised,yet features serrated nose cone joint

View attachment 12575

First i dont think this is a fan boy art , should somebody claim it to be so
There are too many small details which would be not included by fan boy modellers , which this rendering has like the MAWS fitments on the forebody.

I think this is HAL proposed IAF specific twin engined ORCA patterned on Rafale using uprated HTFE 25 engines ( same what they did with LCA MK1A )

Quote from an interview regarding HTFE 25

" Q: Why build 25kN engine when HAL license mfg same thrust class engines (adour-871 et al). Why not make Al-55 replacement?

A: Initially 20kN was proposed. Since Al-55 is ~17kN, a 20kN would have been good for IJT MK2. But the higher authorities went with 25kN. Wrt adour871 advantage in technology (smaller size, PR 11 vs 20, ~600mm vs ~450mm Turbine dia – huge turbine operating at lower rpm for Adour) , weight and size. So This engine while replacing Adour would give better performance. This engine can be used for Jagaur (which has 28kN engine) as well. Just need to change mounting points (and perhaps LP module?). Its very easy to adjust the design to various thrust levels by changing materials etc. Analysis already done. With similar core 35-40kN is achievable easily. SFC for this engine 0.72, better than older engines. "

@vstol Jockey

Your comments , since i am zero on engines

View attachment 12581
That is okra

Last edited:

I won't be surprised if the MMRCA ends up being cancelled in favour of a domestic twin engine jet for the IAF. If you recall, any MMRCA tender now will deliver a jet only between 2028 and 2030. That's more than enough time to develop our own Tejas derived TE jet.

The IAF doesn't really need more than 80 Rafales if a cheaper, less capable twin engine jet is available for most other missions. Bonus points for matching Rafale or surpassing it.

And that's okra, bro, not orca. But this new jet could turn into a vegetable.

@vstol Jockey @Picdelamirand-oil @halloweene @Bon Plan @A Person Post 466.

First i dont think this is a fan boy art , should somebody claim it to be so
There are too many small details which would be not included by fan boy modellers , which this rendering has like the MAWS fitments on the forebody.

I think this is HAL proposed IAF specific twin engined ORCA patterned on Rafale using uprated HTFE 25 engines ( same what they did with LCA MK1A )

Quote from an interview regarding HTFE 25

" Q: Why build 25kN engine when HAL license mfg same thrust class engines (adour-871 et al). Why not make Al-55 replacement?

A: Initially 20kN was proposed. Since Al-55 is ~17kN, a 20kN would have been good for IJT MK2. But the higher authorities went with 25kN. Wrt adour871 advantage in technology (smaller size, PR 11 vs 20, ~600mm vs ~450mm Turbine dia – huge turbine operating at lower rpm for Adour) , weight and size. So This engine while replacing Adour would give better performance. This engine can be used for Jagaur (which has 28kN engine) as well. Just need to change mounting points (and perhaps LP module?). Its very easy to adjust the design to various thrust levels by changing materials etc. Analysis already done. With similar core 35-40kN is achievable easily. SFC for this engine 0.72, better than older engines. "

@vstol Jockey

Your comments , since i am zero on engines

The HTFE-25 is a long ways away from becoming suitable for fighter jet operations. This engine has been designed for business jets and UAVs with a requirement for low acceleration and high fuel efficiency. Post HTFE-25, HAL should have the expertise to develop a derivative or a new clean-sheet design for fighter jets, but you can imagine how long away that will be.

If O in ORCA refers to omnirole, then we could be talking about a Rafale competitor.

And that's okra, bro, not orca. But this new jet could turn into a vegetable.
This is the problem with ADA. They have got stuck with Tejas and they can't think of anything beyond that. They need a completely new design for a TEDF. The present design of LCA can at best become MK2 but anything beyond that will be counterproductive.

Certainly not Sir, was never my intention.

Never said or even had no idea it was you or anyone for the matter

I just tried to pre emptived any future suggestions regarding the same
This is the problem with ADA. They have got stuck with Tejas and they can't think of anything beyond that. They need a completely new design for a TEDF. The present design of LCA can at best become MK2 but anything beyond that will be counterproductive.

Navy TEDBF is a clean sheet design AFAIK .

The more ADA screws up, the better it is for your own jet.

Anyway, I suspect this is an IAF-specific design rather than a carrier aircraft.

Where ? I can see the IRST & I can also see the "DANGER ejection seat" symbol poking out. Maybe some problems with the simulation.

At the sides next to pilot in red colour

Also wing tip missile is named as NG CCM which is a HAL nomenclature for ASRAAM

At the sides next to pilot in red colour
The triangular things ? That's the danger sign. This is a common problem with simulation softwares. They often fail to mount and align one object over the other with 100% accuracy. Look at the IAF roundels, the one on top looks flush to the surface the one on the bottom doesn't. The roundel at the bottom has shadow formation as if its a raised layer not flushed to the surface. I don't think those are MAWS, just software glitches. This software is probably HAL's proprietary software.

Reactions: vingensys
The more ADA screws up, the better it is for your own jet.

Anyway, I suspect this is an IAF-specific design rather than a carrier aircraft.
This looks more like a fanboy art. Lots of wrong stuff in it. The wingtips have zero reynolds number and yet they have a missile rail fitted. The entire training edge is a moving surface. How will you mount a missile rail on it?
The fuselage is rather twoo thin and with TE design, the intake sizes have to be nearly double of SE LCA as now each engine will be fed from just one intake only. The location of canards itself is grossly out.