IAF Chronicles - A side view of whats going on behind the closed doors in New Delhi

Status
Not open for further replies.
No way a swiss made Rafale can be cheaper than a french one. The cost per hour in switzerland is higher than in France with the same technical maturity.
For India : the cost per hour is cheaper, but I think sometime you need more man hour to do the same thing.

No, I'm referring to having a new tender after the last one was cancelled. The same thing's happening in Swiss land now.

So we are getting a total of 40 aircraft?
In my country 36+2 = 38.
But the 2 that will be build in India cannot be procured to IAF or IN because for them to be deliver you need state control all along production and these 2 will be to train people and to set up state rule and control for production. But they can be used to test new developments and so on.

We wont buy US planes

Only Rafales and PAK FA ; PAK FA will come later

But the F-16+F-35 combo deal talks are on.

F-16+F-35 combo deal is being negotiated.

Remaining Foundational agreements are planned to be signed by JUL-2018.

That will be political suicide. Opposition will have a field day.

NSA was in US to expedite the agreements. May be after the recent by-election losses in the BJP ruled Hindi belt states and diminishing prospects in the south, Modi may be sensing that he may not come back in 2019. Hence now there is a great push to get major decisions completed by this summer.

What I shared earlier is now being confirmed by major news outlets.

Signing of COMCASA (earlier CISMOA) is a prerequisite for the fighter deal with the US.

India close to signing COMCASA with US
NAYANIMA BASUT+ T-

bl28india%20and%20US

Being a ‘Major Defence Partner’ of the US, it is imperative for India to sign the three mandatory foundational pacts - Getty Images/iStockphoto

NEW DELHI, MARCH 27

India may finally end up signing the second defence foundational pact with the US — the Communications, Compatibility, Security Agreement (COMCASA) — which will enable Indian military to obtain critical, secure and encrypted defence technologies from the other country.

Being a ‘Major Defence Partner’ of the US, it is imperative for India to sign the mandatory three foundational pacts which allows greater interoperability between critical technologies and smooth facilitation of classified information.

So far, India has signed only one of the foundational agreements, called the Logistics Exchange Memorandum of Agreement (LEMOA). It had signed the pact with the US in 2016 after decades of negotiation.

The LEMOA is a modified version of the Logistics Support Agreement (LSA) focused on India that will enable access to each other’s military facilities for purposes of refuelling and replenishment.

However, efforts to conclude the remaining two pacts got a major push during the visit of Foreign Secretary Vijay Gokhale and Defence Secretary Sanjay Mitra to the US earlier this month, sources told BusinessLine.

“The COMCASA is almost ready, with both sides brainstorming all the aspects. It just needs the political will to sign on the dotted lines,” said a top official involved in the talks.

Gokhale and Mitra visited the US to pave the way for the proposed ‘2+2 Ministerial’ meet that was to be held in Washington in April-end, which now will be postponed due to the sacking of US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson while his successor Mike Pompeo’s name is yet to be finalised by the Senate, sources said.

Finalising COMCASA was also discussed extensively during a meeting between Navy Chief Sunil Lanba and US Chief of Naval Operations John Richardson that was held last week in the US.

Discussions to sign the three foundational pacts began during the previous UPA regime but talks could not progress much due to apprehensions that this will indirectly make India an ally of America in its war strategies, sources said.

Ministerial efforts

However, it was under former Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar that LEMOA got signed. And now it is Defence Minister Minister Nirmala Sitharaman who is making an all-out effort to get COMCASA off the ground.

“COMCASA creates the conditions for the Indian military to receive modern secure and net-enabled weapons systems such as precision armament, air-to-air missiles, space systems and navigation systems that are critical components in platforms like fighter aircraft and unmanned aerial systems. Hitherto India has had to purchase more expensive commercial communications equipment, raising the overall acquisition price of a platform,” said Ben Schwartz, Senior Director (Defence and Aerospace), USIBC.

COMCASA and Basic Exchange and Cooperation Agreement for Geo-spatial Cooperation (BECA) are the two remaining pacts that were not signed due to severe criticism from within the government. It was feared that signing these agreements would mean compromising India’s age-old military ties with Russia and access to their weaponry systems.

There is opposition to signing the pacts even now within the Defence Ministry as some officials feel that despite these pacts weapons sales from the US will remain subjected to various export control regimes.

India close to signing COMCASA with US

• Agree
Reactions: zinswinsin
But the F-16+F-35 combo deal talks are on.

What I shared earlier is now being confirmed by major news outlets.

Signing of COMCASA (earlier CISMOA) is a prerequisite for the fighter deal with the US.

India shoots down US proposal for communications secrecy pact to maintain distinction with latter's NATO allies

NEW DELHI: India has shot down a US proposal for an “umbrella” communications secrecy pact to maintain a distinction with the US’ NATO allies but it has also requested Washington DC to examine an “ideal” cross-posting of army, navy and air force officers at its Central and Pacific Commands, the two theatres that largely determine military-to-military relations.

Explaining the significance of COMCASA, the official said “we might find it restrictive but a NATO ally of the US may not view it as such”.

The Air Force would be conducting these operations during the forthcoming pan-India war game Exercise Gaganshakti, to be held from April 8, where the Air Force would be mobilising almost its entire fleet of combat and transport aircraft along with the helicopters and all the ground-based assets, they said

During the exercise, the IAF will operate its latest acquisitions in a networkcentric environment, achieving very high levels of synergy with the Army and the Navy, sources in the Air Force said.
The exercise will be based on a scenario that included rapid deployment across the country at all operational Air Force bases.

Mig-29/35 remains an option for IAF & IN even today and Russians are willing to change all the engines on these aircraft with upgraded Kaveri. I do foresee a repeat order of atleast 50 units.

We should have replaced all our Mig 21s with Mig 29s

They are still the Cheapest 4 th Gen plane available

The Present Mig 29 SMT / UPG can also carry Air to Ground Weapons

Replace 60 year old planes with 30 year old ones . Where's the logic in that ?

The Air Frames would be New; Russia is still manufacturing them

Secondly Mig 29 can take on the JF 17 easily

The pakistanis are increasing their JF 17 fleet rapidly while our Mig 21 s have to be retired

The range of Mig 29 is quite good ; it can also do the job of Mig 27

The Air Frames would be New; Russia is still manufacturing them

Secondly Mig 29 can take on the JF 17 easily

The pakistanis are increasing their JF 17 fleet rapidly while our Mig 21 s have to be retired

The range of Mig 29 is quite good ; it can also do the job of Mig 27

I have often argued on this forum and Older Forum on the imperative of adding nos to the FA we've retired. One of the solutions was to procure more MiG 29 ( new or used ) or Mirage 2000 from Greece , UAE or France . But for some reasons , people here who know better always stressed on either Tejas ( which I do too , except it isn't coming soon ) or suggested as @randomradio did that with 36 Rafales coming in plus the back log in terms of orders for the Su 30 MKI by 2022 , we should breathe easy . I remember he also mentioned we should have the full compliment of Tejas ( Mk & Mk1a) by 2025 . Since then the dates for Mk1a has been pushed further away .

Reactions: STEPHEN COHEN
It is my information from IN that MIg-29Ks have better TWR than Rafale and can defeat it in sustained combat anyday. Rafle does have more capabilities but as a pure fighter, it is not as good as Mig-29K or Mig-29/35 upgraded with Kaveri. Please recall my earlier posts wherein I had stated that France will delay the delivery of upgraded Kaveri to ensure that Mig-29/35 does not become a challenger to Rafale.

The kid called IAF is crying all the way to have something that it really does not require, All I see in IAF is logicless people.
I am of the school of thought that Two engines are better than one helps reliability. YES, the downside is a higher cost per plane, higher weight and perhaps more time and cost for maintenance. But having two engines increases the reliability, It can also potentially increase the speed as well as help for higher payload. I felt that American F-5 was one of the best interceptors. IT had twin engines (smaller engines) and was designed to be easy to maintain. It is a 60s plane and some air forces still use it.

One of the main cases against MiG-29/35 is the reliability of the engines, lower range and not good war load.
I would suggest perhaps having CFTs on MiG-29 and hence changing its shape (that might affect performance) have a better performing and reliable engine and a stronger airframe hence allowing more war load. In terms of Load, Su-30 MKI carries an excellent load and range. Rafale does sacrifice range for load. MiG-29/35 should have a better range and say till 7-8 tons of war load to be a true MRCA for IAF

Mig-29/35 remains an option for IAF & IN even today and Russians are willing to change all the engines on these aircraft with upgraded Kaveri. I do foresee a repeat order of atleast 50 units.

The kid called IAF is crying all the way to have something that it really does not require, All I see in IAF is logicless people.
I am of the school of thought that Two engines are better than one helps reliability. YES, the downside is a higher cost per plane, higher weight and perhaps more time and cost for maintenance. But having two engines increases the reliability, It can also potentially increase the speed as well as help for higher payload. I felt that American F-5 was one of the best interceptors. IT had twin engines (smaller engines) and was designed to be easy to maintain. It is a 60s plane and some air forces still use it.

One of the main cases against MiG-29/35 is the reliability of the engines, lower range and not good war load.
I would suggest perhaps having CFTs on MiG-29 and hence changing its shape (that might affect performance) have a better performing and reliable engine and a stronger airframe hence allowing more war load. In terms of Load, Su-30 MKI carries an excellent load and range. Rafale does sacrifice range for load. MiG-29/35 should have a better range and say till 7-8 tons of war load to be a true MRCA for IAF
Rafale is pathetic when compared to upgraded Mig-29/35. the very early Mig-29s were able to defeat M2K in combat comprehensively. Now we have an iteration of M2K called Rafale challenging them.
As per my knowledge of aerodynamics and fighter aircraft designs based on my experience as a fighter pilot, no canard design can ever defeat a conventional design in air combat provided the the TWR is over 1:1.1.

Rafale is pathetic when compared to upgraded Mig-29/35. the very early Mig-29s were able to defeat M2K in combat comprehensively. Now we have an iteration of M2K called Rafale challenging them.
As per my knowledge of aerodynamics and fighter aircraft designs based on my experience as a fighter pilot, no canard design can ever defeat a conventional design in air combat provided the the TWR is over 1:1.1.

So you mean to say that India's NINE Billion Dollars have gone down the drain :LOL:

What about things like Spectra ; Sensor Fusion ; RBE2 AESA ; And Meteor

Status
Not open for further replies.